You just THINK you want friendly chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Baymule, May 8, 2011.

1. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I have 2 SLW hens, purchased as layers. Stella and Lola will eat out of my hand, but are not overly friendly. Fast forward to 6 chicks and our 3 year old grand daughter carrying them around for a week. Also a lot of attention from myself. I have friendly chicks. Hooray!! [​IMG] Today the enormity of the monsters I created came home to roost. THEY PECK ME! They peck the hand that feeds them, they peck my wedding band, they pecked off my bandaid, they peck my toes, they peck anything and everything on me they can get to. Little peckers! But they are FRIENDLY! [​IMG]

2. humboldtpeeps

humboldtpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    HAHA! [​IMG]
    I thought it would be great too! They are sooo friendly now that I keep having to remind guests meeting our ladies for the first time that eyeballs and teeth are shiny too [​IMG]

3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I want friendly/pet like girlies too...but the brahma's r BIG pecker's (excuse the pun). They peck HARD! I normally just tap them on the head if they peck too hard. None of my other 20ish chicks peck that hard! [​IMG]

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    they are just curious...like toddlers touching everything- just have to be careful till they get past that stage

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They don't exactly have hands and fingers with which to touch things, as children do, to learn more about them. What is this? Is this food? A bug? It's different, what does it feel like? Is it food? Oooh! Shiny!

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I will have to teach them Mom is NOT FOOD!!!

7. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    lol I have a crooked beak 3 month old that my uncle gave me, his wife carried her around because she felt sorry for her and now you cant get rid of her lol. She follows me around the coop, out of the run and around the yard then back in the coop lol. I used to want tame chickens now im not so sure lol

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:exactly! they are so curious!! you can just see those thoughts running through their little heads

9. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    [​IMG]:frow
    Quote:my golden laced polish hen is exactly the same way, she comes running when she sees me from across the yard, if i dont pick her up for a little bit she pecks the back of my leg, i think its so cute when she runs to me. janie [​IMG]

10. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I used to have a chick that the other ones would pick on so I gave her special attention... I couldn't walk into the run without her roosting on my shoulder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by