You know how it is....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cthrash1, Nov 23, 2009.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    That some folks are really slow in the bathroom, taking forever.... Then some are in and out in a few minutes(don't want to smell it any longer than they have to)?

Well..... My chickens are like that when it's time to lay. I have two in particular that are total opposites. My BR(BC) will sit and sit a long time. I've waited for half an hour once before giving up and leaving. I think she just doesn't want anyone else in the nestbox(which is the one they all use out of three boxes). Then I have an Australorp(Barbie) that is in and out in a flash... I swear she waits til the last minute, then rushes in gets a little comfy, lays and gets out. She is in and out n less than 5 minutes I swear. It's hilarious! I was out at the coop this morning checking to make sure the girls had everything they need and were happy... The first thing I do when I go back is check for eggs... I was there all of 5 minutes and in that time, Barbie was in and out and I didn't even see her go in or out. The only reason I checked in the coop one more time before I left was because I saw another pullet go in and was hoping to see her in the nest laying an egg. Nope, she was pecking around the floor but there was Barbies egg in the nest. I should have named her Houdini.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our hens are the same way. We have some that you don't even know they laid an egg. In and out in a flash and no noise. Then we have others that have to make sure everyone knows they are going in to lay an egg and then they sit and sit and sit. Sometimes up to 3 hours. And then they finally lay it and then they have to tell everyone what a good job they did. Our Leghorns were the worst until we moved them in to a breeder pen. Now it is a few of our sex-links. They are so funny.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    [​IMG] Yeah I forgot about the announcement!! So far I don't have any that do that on a continuous basis, but BC will once in a while. I bet it is funny seeing them let everyone know they're going in and then doing the celebration song again after.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by