You know, sometimes life isn't fair...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by amystours, Apr 28, 2008.

1. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    This is a long story. Not really, guess I could give the abbreviated version.

My DH somehow injured himself yesterday. We were thinking a possible hernia. He was in severe pain, however, so we took off to the Dr. at 9 this morning. The fella there examined him and said we probably needed to go see a surgeon ASAP, because he feared that a piece of intestine may have protruded through the opening and the circulation was being cut off, producing the pain. Figured we were preparing for emergency surgery.

Anyway, we are in the ER, IV started, went and had a CT scan, all that joy, this is about 9 tonight, we are waiting for the results of the CT scan.

An ambulance had come in with an 8 or 9 year old boy. They put him directly across the hall from us, and you know with those flimsy curtains, you can hear all...

Apparently, the boy had been hit by a car, then the DRIVER LEFT!!! Just hit him and left. Some passerby later found the boy in a ditch, performed CPR and called 911. (Not that it makes much of a difference, but the person DID eventually turn him/herself in).

They managed to get a pulse on him to sustain him until the paramedics arrived. The mama was, of course, very upset, and they would not let her in with him because they were "working" on him. Eventually, they did let her in, after warning her that "he is a mess"...there was lots of praying, naturally.

A few moments later, doctors and nurses started slowly filtering out, and we realized that the boy had passed. You know, we were feeling so sorry for ourselves, having to sit in that ER ALL DAY LONG, and then something like this happens, that makes you feel really fortunate.

My MIL has DD tonight because of the circumstances, but had she been here, we would have given her a huge hug, just on the principle of the matter. I can't imagine what that Mom must feel right now...having to go home to her son's room, and look at all of his belongings, knowing he's not coming home to them.

I just boo-hooed along with the family up there. Sorry for being so graphic, y'all, I just had to get it out. This is actually a pretty small town, and this is the second hit and run on a kid we've had in a week. They never caught the person who hit the kiddo last week.

Life's just not fair sometimes.

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Such a sad story and I agree, Life is not fair sometime.
    Thats when you go out and just sit and spend time with your chicks!

3. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Wow, that has to be tough on the parents. It is actually my worst nightmare when I let my kids play outside. We live off a pretty busy road, and even though our road is a dead end, we see a lot of traffic. And everyone speeds. I am the mom that is always yelling every 5 minutes to watch for cars, slow down, etc. I know my kids get sick of it, but it scares me so much. I used to work 911, and have never really gotten over some of the calls I got.

I'm sorry your husband was in pain, but I also know that you walked away from that with a new love for your dd. I will pray for that family tonight. Steph

Oh, btw, does your dh need surgery? Is he feeling better?

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Wow...just wow!

Not to hijack, but a somewhat related incident...

The day that I finally got the cast off of my right arm ( from our bike wreck), I come prancing out of the back to get the credit card from Skip (no health insurance so I have to pay up front for everything) to pay the bill. It felt like I'd had a concrete block removed from my arm so of course I'm waving it all over the place (nevermind a waiting room full of other people [​IMG] ). Grab the card, pay the bill and say Hi to a young man who doesn't look a day over 14, with a cast on a leg and an arm, with a "halo" on his head as we head out the door to leave. We get outside the office and Skip and our friend, who drove us to the appointment let me know that he was also in a bike wreck after just getting his license (18 years old). I was completely dumb-founded at that point and realized just how little that I had to complain about.

Life makes you stop and think...

Dawn

5. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    Yeah, it does make you think. As much sorrow as that family is going through right now, I can't help but wonder where the Mama was when this happened, or if the child was supposed to be under the care of someone else. It just makes me shudder that stuff like this happens every day all over the country.

CT scan on DH didn't show a hernia, but a ripped muscle. They said that we should watch closely for a hernia the next couple of days, but that with heat and rest he should be fine. They did say that a torn muscle takes a long time to heal, that he should take it easy for several weeks. With the pain that he was going through (and he's not a wimp!) I was thinking the worst, like a blood clot or something. He'll be fine, unlike that child and family. Good grief.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by