You know, sometimes your children just shock and awe you...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HennysMom, Dec 19, 2008.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

So yesterday, my 10 yo DS comes home from school, unpacks his backpack and says "look mom - I got an award today for highest points for our advanced reading group!" (he's in the 4th grade but reads on a 7th/8th grade level) - so I'm all excited and congratulate him - you know - do the "mommy" thing [​IMG]. So I tell him to put it upstairs with his other awards and he goes about his playing. Then I'm going through his backpack looking at papers and such...and I happen to see this colorful drawing he did and its entitled "Number The Stars"... -

it has a house, a fence with barbed wire....a tank...(so now my interest is really peaked.. thinking.."Hmm...what is this all about") - I see a necklace with a Jewish Star and it's encircling a little girl - then I see a soldier standing above the little girl - and I notice whats on this soldiers arm - a Nazi arm band. It hits me - and I just stood there - realizing what my son has drawn and my heart just melts. So I call him downstairs and ask him what this picture is about and he proceeds to tell me its a book he chose to read, that he picked out at the library, about a little 10 year old girl named Anne Marie who risked her life to save her best friend Ellen from being relocated by the Nazi's.

I just stood there and looked at him - then hugged him tightly to me. The next words out of his mouth shocked and awed me (as if I werent shocked and awed enough already right?) He says to me "Oh yeah..and The Diary of Anne Frank was a great book too Mom, have you ever read it? She was one brave little girl."

[​IMG]

Never underestimate your children... they are our future. [​IMG]

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    If you haven't read Number the Stars yet, you should. It's really good, even though it's YA lit.

If you're still looking for Christmas gifts, trying picking up The Book Thief for him.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Hennysmom, wow, amazing.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have been to the Anne Frank house. It makes the hair stand up on your arms.

5. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    NennysMom -

Wow.

Just wow.

6. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    What a wonderful boy.....he has such insight...he is a special child to understand the horrors and bravery of such little girls during WWII... I applaud him...can you post a pic of his drawing?

7. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    HennysMom.....your doin' all right gal [​IMG].

8. HennysMom

Yep - here is his picture...

[​IMG]

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Ahhh it is beautiful........it needs to be kept in his memory box with the book........am blubbering again!

10. HennysMom

[​IMG] EC stop - I'm still going from your other post....

OM goodness... we're a bunch this morning... [​IMG]

its in the box already *where IS a tissue when you need it?*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by