You Know that you have a House Chicken /when......

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by justbugged, Dec 13, 2011.

1. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I knew that I had a house chicken the day, I put her out the door, and she just turned around and walked back in the door.

So who else has been notified by their house chicken. [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't have any "official" house chickens, but I do have about three of my flock who have house chicken aspirations.

Paprika, who has laid an egg in the house on two of her multiple visits. In the same spot.

Molly, who may have just been on an excursion as she is the MOST inquisitive hen in the flock. She carries on a running commentary about everything: "Bok! Nice kitchen. Berk? What is this tasty stuff in these bowls, and why is the dog barking at me? Buk-buk bok. Another room!? Why don't we have more rooms in OUR house?"

Rebecca, who is Head Hen and seemed a little miffed at being shooed outside. After all, she IS Carl's favorite, and he IS the dominant roo! And he stood outside on the stoop, guarding it as she came inside the house.

3. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:It sounds like Paprika is rather serious about wanting to claim a place in your house. [​IMG] It is wonderful to be able to leave the doors open during the day. I can't wait for things to get warmer around here.

4. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I have 2 chickens living in a large dog crate in my kitchen. Survivors of a mink attack. Brought them in to recuperate, weather turned cold. They are now used to living in the warm house...guess we'll have to wait until spring to rejoin the rest of the flock. At least that's what I'm telling myself. [​IMG]

5. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:I am hoping that my little fluff ball will be able to join the flock in the spring too. She does like to be inside.

6. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    If I get a chicken diaper, (cause I don't want her pooing everywhere... because really all she does is POO POO POO!) I'm gonna take Amulet to church and have her blessed by our priest. My church is in the city, and we live far out with our chickens, so the people that don't own chickens are gonna be all "Whaaat?" Sigh. They'll never know the joy of house chickens...

7. chickenlover91

chickenlover91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I KNOW we have a house chicken! We have one old lady (way past laying years) but shes still young at heart <3 shes as sweet as can be. Every time i open the door she ALWAYS comes running to come inside, and if i dont let her in she sits by the door, looks at at the window, puts on the "You have to let me in" face, and either bocks or pecks at the door [​IMG] And when I open the door to let her in SHE RUNS INSIDE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!! Henny is spoiled with pure love [​IMG]

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    the other day i opened the door and all four free rangers were standing on the top step looking at me. clove immedietly hopped over the doorstep into the house like it was perfectly normal and flew onto a chair at the kitchen table! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by