You know you have got it bad when.......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 5, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    You are just about to start your second hatch and realize you have an entire notebook dedicated to your hatches.

With my first hatch I decided to keep good records and think it will be helpful with any other hatches, too. I drew a calendar to write any important daily facts on, complete with not only the actual date, but the incubation day written in each block. I also have notes....date and time set, number and type of eggs. The last one has scribbled notes from every 'event'.....first time candled and what I saw, when I removed infertile eggs, first pip.....

Anyway, new hatch starts tomorrow and I just started the 'paperwork'

Yes, yes, I AM infected. [​IMG]

2. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    It sounds more like a diary of a mother hen, [​IMG] But thats a good idea, detailing the events of each day. Its always interesting to read back on all your work.

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I spent the entire 21 days telling people "I have to get home to sit on my eggs!!!!" so yes, mother hen, I am. Or perhaps a touch OCD. LOL

4. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    I have a notebook too. Who ever turns the eggs rights down that they did it and what time. I have a crazy busy end of the school year. If we didn't write it down who knows what would happen. Oh and I write on my eggs too. When I set them, what they are,candle dates, and what the result of the candeling was. My eggs look like art deco..

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Be careful they don't die of lead poisoning!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Nothing Wrong with being OCD!

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just jealous of your notebook!

8. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Be careful they don't die of lead poisoning!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

LOL...thankfully that doesn't happen or mine would be in danger, too!!! I had this conversation with my kids recently....NO, you can't get lead poisoning from your pencils...they contain NO lead...only graphite. "So mom, are you trying to say that doing our homework CAN'T kill us?"

Nothing Wrong with being OCD!

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just jealous of your notebook!

ROFL....I sooooo agree with you!!!​

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I printed out a calendar for my hatch and I will again for this next hatch. Everything gets written down. Even though I have a turner I check the eggs at least three times a day to make sure they are turning, temps okay, and humidities okay!

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I lose notebooks, so I have an Excel file for each hatch with spreadsheets to note details.
    DH thinks I'm certifiable...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by