You know you love your birds

Xouie

Crowing
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
You, yes you with the chicken t-shirt. And you, the one with a framed picture of your sweet little duckling on your desk.... or is that a pattern for sewing your turkey a custom sweater?

At some point you’ve probably said or done something that later made you realize you’re in a special, truly loving category of poultry keepers. Not necessarily a big thing, just something that in retrospect most people might not do. Maybe you didn’t even realize you were doing it.

What is that little something you do?

Awesome! That’s sweet. :love

We name anybody we can tell apart around here (the others get a group name). Since the Cornish will be meat someday soon, we like to make them happy while they’re here.
That’s so cool, it makes me happy to hear about others trying to keep their animals happy even though they are not gonna be there for long. I’ve seen so many people do the opposite.

For example, yesterday when I was in the Cornish cross pen, Dora the pullet stretched out in front of the door. So I said “excuse me” and still had to wait a minute or so until she decided to get up to go eat.

I actually stood there waiting patiently for a chicken to move so I could leave. Wouldn’t have wanted to open the door and risk bumping her with it.

I love my chickens so much. I made them a chicken friendly cake recently and they loved it! I made two, here’s one of them.
EABCC025-1FF9-48E9-AAE5-1B0BACB24BDB.jpeg

You, yes you with the chicken t-shirt. And you, the one with a framed picture of your sweet little duckling on your desk.... or is that a pattern for sewing your turkey a custom sweater?

At some point you’ve probably said or done something that later made you realize you’re in a special, truly loving category of poultry keepers. Not necessarily a big thing, just something that in retrospect most people might not do. Maybe you didn’t even realize you were doing it.

What is that little something you do?
Haha! I am literally wearing my t-shirt that says "Yep, I talk to chickens" when this thread popped up at the top. Hahaha!

I have had many conversations with my flock, they all know their names and respond to their own name. I have lots of stories but here is one about Clarabelle:
I'm outside doing chores and chatting to my flock and Clarabelle starts wondering a little farther away. I'm watching her out of the corner of my eye, Clarabelle is definitely the EE that always gets into things more than the others.
She starts walking down the long driveway that leads to the highway. I say "Clarabelle! Clarabelle?!?" She stops but won't look at me (kind of like when a kids plays hide-and-seek by covering their eyes, it just makes them invisible). "I can still see you, come back here." She turns only her head to look at me. Then goes to take another step when I say "Clarabelle, get back here!" I was partially laughing because she still had her leg raised to take that step and froze when I told her to get back here. She then turns and starts coming back to me. :lau

For example, yesterday when I was in the Cornish cross pen, Dora the pullet stretched out in front of the door. So I said “excuse me” and still had to wait a minute or so until she decided to get up to go eat.

I actually stood there waiting patiently for a chicken to move so I could leave. Wouldn’t have wanted to open the door and risk bumping her with it.
For the Cornish crosses??
I assume you will eat them. Why the names?

My little thing is thanking the girls for their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom