1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You know you REALLY love your dog when....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by goatkeepers, Aug 12, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    .... you still let him snuggle with you, even though he was sprayed by a skunk he killed last night! [​IMG]

That's what my dog did last night. Killed a skunk!! The smell... Absolutely indescribable. NOTHING like the "skunk road kill on the side of the road" smell. [​IMG]
    I gave him a batch right after the act last night and then another when I got home. Tried the peroxide, baking soda and dawn. I don't think it helped much. It's mainly on his muzzle (go figure [​IMG] ) and I'm scared of getting the peroxide in his eyes, so I just wiped it with a wash cloth soaked in that stuff, then rinsed.

Aaaanyways, now he is snuggling next to me on the couch.. [​IMG] DH will be thrilled when he gets home! [​IMG] Loooool. He wanted Budda (my dog) to sleep in the barn last night (he usually sleeps in the house, on the couch), but I wasn't gonna have that. So he was "quarantined" in the dog box (like a large cage that DH built that is in the house, but butts up to the porch door. Dogs can go into the box (so inside the house) through a doggie door from the porch) all night, which he didn't like much at all!
    I love him too much to kick him outside, just because of a little skunyness. It was already killing me, listening to him whine last night, because he didn't know why he wasn't allowed to sleep inside.

I love my dog! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Him as a pup
    [​IMG]

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    He sure is a cutie, give him a hug from me for being a good doggie.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Love the pics! I keep a couple of industrial-sized cans of tomato sauce in the storage room for the skunk issue ~ my Husky-Shepherd has tangled with them more times than I care to count. The molecules that comprise skunk spray are very complex, and take a very long time to break down. Although I have found nothing that completely gets rid of the smell (except time), the acid in the tomato sauce does help the smell somewhat, and I can pour it all over his face and rub it in without worrying about his eyes too much (and he can lap it up before I rinse him).

Good luck!

Jen in TN
    ~:<>

4. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Sure looks like a fun loving good dog there!
    I can almost smell him from here!
    I sure am glad we don't have skunks round here.
    Good luck with the oder-riffekness!

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

He's a handsome lad!

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I LOVE the pictures with the bubbles!

-Kim

7. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    To get rid of the skunk smell mix Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dawn detergent I like to make a slurry of it rub it into the coat get all the nooks and krannys let set about 10 minutes rinse well then bathe with dawn. I have used it at work works better than any commercial products mythbusters even found it to be the best soln for skunk, I even soaked my cats yes a cats harley leather collar in it after being sprayed no more smell, if you can still smell it you missed a spot lather rinse repeat GOOD Luck

8. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks for the compliments, everyone! [​IMG] I sure am proud of my boy (he's my first dog [​IMG] ), he really is smart, the only bad thing about him is his high pray drive. I've worked and worked on that, can't break it. [​IMG] I have been bringing one of my 3 week old chicks into the living room in the afternoons and I'll hold it and make sure Budda gives us our space. He does that, but starts shaking and whimpering and drooling. Today, I actually got him to the point of where he lay down quietly for a few minutes, so that's a step in the right direction...

9. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Also try vinegar mixed with lemon juice 1/2 and 1/2. Just keep it out of hie eyes.

We caught a skunk in a raccoon trap Friday night and my 3 year old lab had to investigate! Fortunately she didn't take a direct hit, the back of the coop took most of it.

Poor chickens. [​IMG]

10. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Be glad she didn't. I think something about the dogs' hair makes the smell last forever. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by