You know you're crazy about your chicks when...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by teach1rusl, Sep 24, 2009.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You know you really love your chicks when you’re making a mad dash through a torrential rain to retrieve something from your car (can’t find an umbrella of course), and on the way back, futilely holding a book over your head for protection, you pass an earthworm crawling across the sidewalk…and think “Ooooohhh, a WORM!! My babies would LOVE that!!!” and you actually stop to grab it for them. LOL

My babies are two weeks and SO sweet! What silly things have you done to please your chicks/chickens???

2. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    pincher bugs.....catch them....ouch.....and give them to the chickens........or save a pile of food when i am cleaning the kitchen for them, telling my family...no no do not throw that away.....

3. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    You feel so sorry for the brooder-raised chicks that you spend at least an hour each day pretending to be a mother hen sitting on the chicks so they can have the mock-experience of resting in a dark, cuddly, warm place like the underside of a mother hen. Ok, wait, it gets worse . . . the chicks eventually get too big to all fit in a little blanket in your arms, so you draft other members of the family to nest the babies. And cluck. Heh. [​IMG]

4. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I have my newest chicks (3 months) separated from my big girls. I do not let them out of the run yet, because I am scared that the hawk that hangs around will get them. So daily I hand pick grass and throw it in the run for them. [​IMG] my Dh does it too [​IMG], then proceeds to tell me my chickens are spoiled ... [​IMG] ,well hello. We take them crickets, grasshopers, worms and any other bug/worm we think they may eat, and table scraps.

5. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    You know you're crazy about your chickens when any "chicken related" program comes on tv, you automatically spread a sheet over the couch and go out to get one or two of your girls to come in and watch it with you.

6. peggym

peggym Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    [​IMG]I've been known to cook hot oatmeal on the coldest days of winter for my girls!!!!! They really live it.[​IMG]

7. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I almost tackled my husband last night when he went to throw away his tomatoes from dinner (scraps). He looked at me like I had clearly lost my mind. My girls were happy though!

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Oh my gosh, I've got to do that! Thank you Cap!

9. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Being new to the chicken game. My family thinks I'm crazy. The other day it started to rain while at my folks house for my father b-day and I made everyone rush home(20 min drive) to check on my chicks because it was their first rain. And good thing I did some were still outside sitting in the rain!! After I got everyone in I them when out every 30mins to make sure everyone was dry and warm. My parents are still teasing me:)

10. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Quote:Really? You have chicken related programming on TV in your area? The only ones I can think of would be cooking shows, but my birds might find that traumatic! "So THAT'S what happened to our brothers!"
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by