You might be a....Birdneck...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MelodyHightower, May 29, 2010.

1. MelodyHightower

MelodyHightower Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    East Texas
    I have been and still am new to the chicken world after a year of raising birds. I have learned things that I never knew about chickens, ducks, quail and turkey that I never knew about raising goats.....which are mad at me for having to share my time with the chickens. So far we've accumulated dozens of RI Reds, Buffs, Barred Rocks, Americaunas, White Rocks, Brown Leghorns, and of course my MUTT Chickens that have lovingly become my yard birds so my guineas will have something to holler at. Add all those to my newest additions....the oh-so-talkative White Faces, the messy yet adorable ducks, the tamest quail in the world, the cooler than ice turkeys, loudmouth guineas, and my cutsie, smootsie Silkie Frizzles. Did I mention that 95% of these little guys were CHICKS? I happily spend two hours every morning with them, rain or shine, feeding and chatting away with them. Anyways....that's my farm, and I love it.

But I've learned a few things, humorous things....

If you have chicken poo under your fingernails, on your flip-flops, boots, or whatever you wear out in the pasture, coop, or yard.....you might be a birdneck. (Ew what's that smell?)

If you have to holler "AH SHAD UP!" to the roosters when you're trying to talk to your friends, you might be a birdneck. (Yes, I really have to do that....and it's always the one closest to me, so my ears ring after he hollers.)

If you spend all morning long feeding birds, just to have them beg for more food because the bird in the next coop got the SAME food, and you feel bad and give them a little more cause the other chickens' food is so much better....you might be a birdneck. (But they give you the saddest eyes!)

If you're out chasing a Brown Leghorn for 45 minutes because the little bugger is so crafty, you might be a birdneck. (Next time, she's going to be a yard hen, I swear.)

If you have to run your ducks out of the goat water 29 times a day, lock the water up in the pen and scold the ducks for slipping under the fence.....you might be a birdneck. (The heads poking up out of the goat trough give them away.)

If your favorite pet is a toulouse goose that thinks you're Mommy....you might be a birdneck. (I wouldn't have it any other way, I love my Stumpy!)

If you have sneaky yard hens that cause you to crawl under the barn, and spend hours hunting the other eggs.....you might be a birdneck. (Very dirty job crawling under that barn.)

If you rely on guineas for watchdogs, who like to attack foreign vehicles and blue pickups.....you might be a birdneck. (Very fun to watch actually.)

If you've ever been to the ER because your pet chicken pecked you in the eye while sitting on your shoulder....you might be a birdneck. (YES THAT HURT BY THE WAY, and I'm okay.)

If you've ever sat in the biddy box and giggled and cooed at the chicks every day while they jumped on your legs and hands, pooing as if thats their way of showing love....you might be a birdneck. (Yes, they seem to think I'm a toilet for some reason.)

If you think something's wrong because it's TOO quiet on your farm.....you might be a birdneck. (Yes, if I don't hear continuous crowing and cheeps, I get nervous.)

If your quail jump out of the cage like Kamikazes when you open the door, then look at you to pick them up and put them back in, just so they can hop right back out......again and again....you might be a birdneck. (Still trying to come up with a good reason why my quail think it's funny....kinda like a toddler throwing his sippy on the floor and laughing when you pick it up again and again.)

If you mow the yard, and fill 2 big buckets up with fresh cut grass just for your babies.....you might be a birdneck. (My babies get excited when they hear the mower fire up now...I guess it just TASTES better than...regular old...grass.)

If you get antsy on hatch day.....you might be a birdneck. (Yes, I watch through the window on the bator....I swear that egg moved!!)

If your goats each have a chicken sleeping on their back in the barn at night.....you might be a birdneck. (Kodak moment, really.)

If you say AWWWWWWW when your little rooster chicks start crowing......you might be a birdneck. (There is no sound like it....very cute, even though it can sound like nails scratching a chalkboard sometimes.)

If you name your birds according to their personalities......you might be a birdneck. (Yes, my sizzles are named after WWE wrestlers....go figure!)

And lastly....if you have joy and love for your birds.....you might be a birdneck. (I can't help it...the little buggers have grown on me, and every new chick does too.)

I hope you all enjoyed my comedic outlook on my birds on my farm. I love them all, and wouldn't trade being a birdneck for anything. Thanks for reading!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I love it soo cute .... and dont feel bad my quail do the same thing....

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Very funny! Thanks for sharing!

5. MelodyHightower

MelodyHightower Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    East Texas
    Feel free to add any birdneck antecdotes to the thread....and Thanks!!!

6. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Perfect! [​IMG]

7. Iheartmyhens

Iheartmyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Luv it!

If you go outside & eat & share your scrambled eggs with your pet hens, then
    go back inside & whip up a SECOND batch of scrambled eggs for the girls because they loved
    your sharing with them-you might be a birdneck!

Guilty!

8. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Great Post![​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Gave me the best laugh of the day! And yes, I'm a birdneck, I admit it. [​IMG]

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:So yes, I think I'm a Birdneck! [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by