You never really know chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    So a while back I got some meat birds, and I noticed one was smaller. Turned out she was a laying hen that got in the mix. So when I harvested the meat birds, I needed to get her into the laying flock.

She was skittish and fast, so I thought well I will just let the layers out, and spread the feed in a wide area, in a neutral place. They all came out, she snuck in, retreated, but got her fair share. I thought that with dark she would go back to her coop. But she was not there, dang it. Pretty sure something got her. That was on June 12th.

Tonight, I see her as I am going to lock up the layers... headed back to her coop. So I got her latched in there and as soon as it is dark, she is going in with the layers, she must be with them during the day? They are away from the house, but I will admit, I have not seen her until tonight.

Crazy chickens...

Mrs K

2. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Great story! I wonder where she was...???

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Hiding in another building? The barn? Tree really high up?
    Smart bird!
    Mary

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I went in the coop tonight - no bird, I was like "what? I know I locked her in" Then she must have moved a tiny bit, she was above the door to the right on a little ledge. Snatched her quick and got her in the other shed. I will go down early in the morning to see how this goes. See if that rooster is worth a darn.

I think now, she must have been in the coop all along at night, but where was she in the day? Oh well we will see how it goes.

Mrs K

5. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Hope it goes well! Clever little bird!
    :fl

6. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    What breed of laying hen got mixed in with the meat (Cornish-Cross?) chickens? Loved your story.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's what I was wondering.....probably leghorn.

It is a great story! Usually it's the other way around.

Good Luck @Mrs. K ... getting her to merge with the layer flock.
    Any other youngsters in the flock?

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    No other youngsters. I am hoping that 'free ranging' with them for a week is enough. Need to go check, but I hate putting on the mosquito lotion, DH just came in and said they are horrible... will report back.

As to what kind of bird, she is white, with a rusty streak down the front, I will try a picture, to see what you all think.

9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
  10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    So what do you think as for kind?

She was hiding in the coop, but me being in there chased her out. She was very skittish at first. The others pretty much ignored her until she walked over to Red Ridinghood to share her dust bath, a pretty good grab of feathers but no chasing.

Scared of the rooster, and he seems confused how she got there. Ate well and no one bothered her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: