You saw them hatch, now here are the fuffy butt pictures.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoneCowboy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    A lot of you followed the whole hatch of pip, zip and hatching of a bunch of ugly slimy chicks. Now, here are their cute little fuffy butts after a couple of days.

Here are the buff twins. Can't name them, don't know what they are.
    [​IMG]

Here is the barred rock bunch. At least I think they are all pure barred rocks. I bought a mix that had pure buffs, pure barreds and a mix of buffs and barred. Speckledhen, feel free to try and sex these [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a Black Orpington from BamaChicken. The sole survivor of our friendly Postal service guerrillas. I'm going on name it Annie if it's a pullet, and Oliver if it's a roo. You know, the orphan thing.

[​IMG]

These are the orange faced twins. I'm sure they are buff/barred mix. Pretty cute though and robust.

[​IMG]

These are the white faced twins. Again, I'm sure they are buff/Barred mix.

[​IMG]

They are all doing well. And are healthy and happy. I've very happy with my incubator, no real problems and these all hatched without problems

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG KY00T!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    So cute congrats!! My kids are going to love seeing them all cleaned up.
    K

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Awww so cute and they all posed so well. The peach faced are my faves. Are they getting new homes at 7 weeks? (Then we can see more pics as they grow [​IMG])

5. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    They might, I've got to figure out what they are. It's pretty easy to tell when you order all pullets what they are. [​IMG]

Now that I've hatched my own, I'm so confused [​IMG]

We all know that speckledhen can be trusted with everything but the sexing of chickens so I don't know who I'm going to get help from [​IMG]

If the buffs are pullets, I'll keep them. If the black is a pullet, I'll probably keep her. Roos will be rehomed because I'm getting a Blue Jersey Giant Roo, and Blue opr roo. (If I can hatch blue ones) The orange faces are pretty cute I have to admit. But, you have to realize, that they go through a really ugly stage (you know, their pre-teens) [​IMG] So you don't really know what they will look like until the mature.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're sweeties! Deniece, do you know if the Buff Orp was the sire of some with Barred Rock mothers? Or do you have both combos where there was also a Barred Rock roo over Buff Orp hens? If Buff Orp over Barred Rock hen, then the cockerels of that cross will develop barring and the pullets will be mostly solid colored. If a Barred Rock rooster was crossed over anything at all, every chick will have some degree of barring, but not crisp barring.
    As for the pure Barred Rocks, if they are pure, the ones with tiny and/or very defined headspots and the darker fronts on the legs will be your pullet chicks almost every time. Even in the fluff stages, most cockerels are lighter than the pullets, more gray/silvery than really black-black.

7. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have both combo's. They all seem really black black, not really any grey. This will be interesting to figure these out. These are from that guy on Ebay with the picture of all his flock together. It was a good hatch from his eggs. Those buffs were sure in a hurry to get out, they hatch first and both a day early.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We all know that speckledhen can be trusted with everything but the sexing of chickens so I don't know who I'm going to get help from

ahem, then why did you ask me, LOL? Silly girl. I know why! Whatever I say, you'll decide it's the opposite! Actually, the Barred Rocks are usually easier than most other breed except actual sexlinks. There's the occasional one that didn't read the rule book, but give them a few days then look. Right now, the headspots and the leg color are what you'll go by to get an idea of what you have with the pure BRs.​

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Those pics are a-dor-able!!!

10. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    What GREAT pics.... OM goodness they are as cute as can be!! [​IMG] Those faces are so sweet and already have personality. I'm so glad your hatch was so successful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by