You think this would work?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pringle, Sep 19, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Sorry but I cant post a pick of it.Its a lifesize plastic owl.It also has a built in detector so that when anything walksby it it makes a loud HOO HOO and I mean super loud!I was thinking of getting 2.Putting one on the top to look like its perching and another right beside the door of the coop.Does this sound okay?

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I will give it a shot, who knows it might be the best thing you gonna get for your coop.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It certainly can't hurt (is it for hawk deterrant?). It sounds more attractive than fishing line and old dvds...lol [​IMG]

4. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I have something similar that we use in other areas of our facility, but I was wondering this too. My fear was that it would attract other owls to that spot... [​IMG] I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in [​IMG]

5. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Its for mainly dettering hawks and coons.I hope the loud sound it makes will startle anything that comes close.

6. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I would wonder if your hens would be affected by it?

7. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Quote:wow I cant believe I didnt think of that!Well I think they will get us to it after some time.

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    My friend used a plastic owl as a deterant and then couldn't figure out why her chickens wouldn't come out of the coop. Finally she remembered that chickens don't like owls either! I think if you put it where the chickens can't see them it might be alright.

Only time will tell.

Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by