1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You want to tell me what the heck did this?! Graphic pic enclosed

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cmcgoun, Jul 24, 2008.

1. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Well went out to my grandmothers farm, to hear that one of her "babies" went missing, well I did a perimeter search to find an awful sight. For the life of me I cant think of the creature that did this. It was attacked during the day as well when all the birds were free ranging, one didnt come back. What ever that thing was, it sure did a number on the hen, Son of a lizard! I'm not sad about it just curious as it is not my chook!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    What ever it was it was fast, Sorry about that! Probably something like a fox....etc.....[​IMG]

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have bobcats in your area?
    Could of been that.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Maybe a hungry raccoon or a fox.

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Quote:They're both typically nocturnal. Could it be a dog?

6. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    The moral that I am learning from this story AGAIN is never let your birds free range. Or this will always happen.

[Make them a large fenced in area instead with a 50 foot by 100 foot net over top. You can even find 100 foot x 150 foot nets. That is more than enough room for them to walk around in but they will have a protective net on top and a fence all around]

So sorry for your grandmother's loss. Can you help her to put up some T posts and a bird net at least?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  7. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Wow! It didn't eat much. Looks kind of like it wasted most of the bird. Maybe a stray cat or something would be my guess.

8. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Thats not a bobcat attack.. Bobcats will attack chickens and take them off with them.. not kill them in your yard.. plus bobcats pull the chickens legs off first.. Trust me i'v seen it happen.

It does look like a dog.beacause the chicken was not eat 'n He was just malwed

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I would think dog also...
    Raccoons are basically nocturnal and foxes are usually dusk and dawn hunters.

10. Salve&Fluffer

Salve&Fluffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    I also think that it was a dog. I am sorry about the chicken's death.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by