You warned me this day was coming - Rooster behavior - now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PunkinPeep, Dec 18, 2009.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    A couple of weeks ago, some of you warned me that this would happen.

Today, i saw my 17 1/2 week old cockerel trying to mate my 14 week old pullets, and they were definitely not having it. And he was riding them around the yard with his beak attached to the back of their wings.

Here's my question.

How far do i let it go? I removed two other roosters the same age from the flock today, leaving him as the clear, unopposed alpha. Did that inspire him to do his roosterly duties?

The pullets are clearly not ready for this business. How far do i let it go? Will he possibly ease up in a couple of days and realize this won't work right now? How rough is too rough?

2. DannyUpchurch

DannyUpchurch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    I had the same problem with my rir so I just seperated them for a while. I built a round pin out of some left over dog wire and covered it with chicken wire and a piece of tarp. Put him back in when U think there ready.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If he's not doing the pullets actual harm, leave him be. He'll get more polished with practice and the pullets will get more cooperative as they mature. Once everybody is on the same page, it'll be possible for the matings to take place not five feet from you without you knowing about it.

4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Thanks for your replies.

That's kind of what i needed to know. I don't want to separate him if i don't have to. He has a lot to learn to grow up into a really good rooster, and i don't want to interrupt that. I will keep watching. Hopefully he's pretty smart. [​IMG]

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I agree.

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Sadly, My Roo had a notion to get his jiggy on and the girls were none too pleased. I would "interrupt" him if he did this in front of me but after a week or so, I noticed the girls calmly just wait it out - almost to the point of bordom and shake it off when he gets up! Poor Roo gets no respect - that must crush his mojo - He is alpha and it is part of what must be for him to keep the girls in line.

He is a good rooster and keeps a good eye on my girls plus he keeps them together when they do the walk about in our woods and always brings them back to the coop when it is time to come back.

Caroline

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Alot of them start off with no gentlemanly manners. When he learns how to stay on (sheesh) he'll be better. It's too bad you don't have some real big girls to put him in his place. I had 3 Jersey Giants, and they would grab him and toss him a few feet!

8. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Mine have been free ranging for only two days, but so far, my alpha roo doesn't seem to understand that part. I'm hoping he picks up on it soon. He has been staying really close to the coop with a few loyal subjects while groups of pullets wander in different directions. You think he'll catch on? He seemed to be doing well when they were in the run all day - watching the sky, etc.

Quote:I think i would really enjoy seeing that. [​IMG]

9. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    Its like a teenage human. They are super earnest but really not very much finesse. I let mine be and they all figured it out in the end. Its funny to watch though. [​IMG]

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I think it is time ffor dinner, I just don't like the roosters, they make the girls look like they are in war, feathers look and back of hens look bad, so I just get red of any rooster come to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by