You were right; tough like Rubber

bnentrup

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Central Indiana
Well, we had an exciting night. We arrived home at dark and was greeted by my neighbor telling me his dog was all over my chicken tractor, and that my roo may be dead (I have no roo!). However, when we went back to look at the damage, our 3-year old black sex link was lying on the ground. I was SURE she was dead, but saw her head slightly move and eyes open. She was paralyzed from the neck down. WHY? That is the question...

I talked it over with my wife, and decided that she probably had a 'heart-attack' or some other trauma to cause a stroke or who knows. The water bowl still had water in it, therefore I assume that she was not dehydrated. I would appreciate your input-- do you think this older hen could have had a heart attack?

Regardless, we decided to put her out of her agony (if she could feel anything) and I killed her. SHE STILL HAD REFLEXES!!! HMM...

She is in the crockpot, and has been for 5+ hours.. and VERY RUBBERY! You all were right when you said tough, but I just wanted to give a better description for those of us who have not converted our older chickens to table fare.

I assume that she is safe to eat since we have cooked all day and potentially killed any bacteria (if it was just coincidence that she was sick and the dog tearing into the coop as well). The coop was spared, and no entry found.. she did not have any marks either that I could see (no blood, no damage).

Thanks for your input

IDK but we had a rabbit that was the same way, we were sure it was dead but with in a few hours it perked up, the bunny was caught by our cockerspaniel, no wounds or anything.

Quote:
I am going to agree with that.. thinking maybe the chicken had its neck out the fabric.. I hate to sound harsh, but we need to move these older girls out to make room for our pullets (who are 2-months old now). This is a learning experience for us, and we are indeed being educated daily.

Quote:
well, after about 8-hours in the slow cooker, she is finally 'tender' - I think we will wait 1-more hour before chicken-dumplins with fresh braised turnips/greens from the garden.

Quote:
I am going to agree with that.. thinking maybe the chicken had its neck out the fabric.. I hate to sound harsh, but we need to move these older girls out to make room for our pullets (who are 2-months old now). This is a learning experience for us, and we are indeed being educated daily.

Oh, this is the meat bird forum. Everyone here understands making room, culling birds, out with the old & in with the new.
smile.png

I'm working on the same thing. Now sorting birds who will go to freezer camp at the end of the Summer laying season. Like you....making room for new pullets.

How did your chicken-dumplins turn out?

Quote:

Oh, this is the meat bird forum. Everyone here understands making room, culling birds, out with the old & in with the new.
smile.png

I'm working on the same thing. Now sorting birds who will go to freezer camp at the end of the Summer laying season. Like you....making room for new pullets.

How did your chicken-dumplins turn out?

Dumplins turned out crazy good! I decided we would cut the broth in half, add the carcass back in, and get more chicken broth for another meal. I let the bones simmer on low over night in the crockpot and WOW!!! what a great smell to wake up to. Secondly, I had a few pieces of meat still on the bones, and HOLY COW that is tender now. Therefore, maybe suggest to others to SIMMER 12+ hours for these older hens.

Back
Top Bottom