You will NEVER guess what I found in my coop last night!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken Hugger!, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Chicken Hugger!

Chicken Hugger! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    My brother was out gathering the eggs last night (he forgot so this was about 10 last night). Next thing I know he comes flying in the house, yelling "There is a hawk in the nest box with a chicken!". [​IMG] So I sent him to go tell my parents and I grabbed the camera and some gloves and took off for the coop. So my brother and I go out and he opened the egg door, and lo and behold there the little booger was! Huge eyes and all, sharing a nest box with one of my BO girls! He seen me coming and decided to get out of the nest box and we ran around the coop trying to catch the thing for a couple minutes and finally got him in a corner and thew a denim jacket over it and picked it up and placed him carefully in a dog crate. After a closer inspection we determined that he is not acting normal. He ended up staying in the dog crate in my dad's workshop all night so he would stay warm and cozy (minus the chicken) So my mom called the Department of Natural Resources this morning and there is a lady from a local raptor rescue coming to pick him up today.

And if that isn't crazy enough.... Earlier that day the same one was out sitting on the ground looking into my bantam pen where my RIRs are housed. As soon as he spied me he took off. But eventually he came back.... This is making me super paranoid.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Cheeky fella! Thought he could have him a one night stand!

However, I wonder if he was injured or sick?

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Wow. I would have dropped my teeth if I saw that. Nice work getting him some help. I hope he doesn't pay you back by stopping by for dinner after he recovers.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    That is just crazy!!! We need pictures!! Any idea on the breed of hawk??

5. Chicken Hugger!

Chicken Hugger! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I am not computer savy so I am not really sure how to post pics. [​IMG]

The lady from the raptor rescue was just here to pick him up. We thought he was a red tail but I thought the color was off. Well I was right, he is a Cooper's hawk. She said that he wasn't injured probably just hungry. I have been having a problem keeping the sparrows out and we are thinking that's how he got in and just couldn't get out.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    That is amazing! Was your BO ok?

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Yep, he was probably chasing sparrows and didn't know what happened with those great big birds.

Poor guy. It's nice to hear about a good hawk outcome.

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:No good deed goes unpunished. I hope that saying does not come true for you.[​IMG]

9. JAPJRGIRL21

JAPJRGIRL21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    WOW!! And the chickens weren't freaked out? We came home on Saturday and there was a chicken hawk in front of all my pens. The hawk flew away as we drove up, but ALL the chickens and turkeys were freaked. Those that do not have separate areas with nesting boxes were all huddled together and those with the separate nesting areas were all up inside them and not in the runs and it was EXTREMELY quiet. Freaked me out!

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    [​IMG] I had to laugh, your brother must have been appalled by the sight of this unusual 'chicken.'

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by