You will not belive what my geese did!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Grassman 52, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    During the weekend I was mowing the back pasture. When I was done for the day I parked my lawn tractor with my brand new lawn vacuum still attached in the pasture that my geese free range in. Went out the next day and the geese had pulled the wires out of the safety switches on the vacuum. [​IMG]

Took a couple of hours to fix - I will be a lot more careful in the future

Just a note for all you geese lovers - they are very curious creatures that don't like anything new in the space - and yes I still love them - they are just like children! [​IMG]

2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    With geese you NEVER leave anything out which you do not want them to get into. They get into everything. If something new is put out there they are right there to see what it might be. They will move your small rocks, plus on little fencing or chew on it, pull and shake your bushes and taste them to see if good enough to eat. You plant a new tree and they will be there inspecting it to see if it is eatable. They take out lawn light and push them down and they are behind a fence...... Come in the garage looking for new thigs to paly with.
    Always looking for something to test taste or paly with.[​IMG]

3. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    My goodness, what active geese you have! Mine are more scared of things than they are curious and wont investigate things on their own. Now, if we're out there working on something, then they'll try to be in the middle of everything. Grassman, you should have given us some before and after pics!

(and i think its funny that they take down the lawn lights, Ruru, I can almost picture it)

4. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    Yes I agree - it is like small children that put everything into there mouths[​IMG]
    I have seen them pull on my lawn furniture and peck at my grill when I let them out on the lawn, but I never thought they would actually damage a piece of equipment. My Ducks and chickens will use new objects as a perch or shade, but geese really notice their environment and investigate. Makes me wonder how intelligent they really are?

5. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    My geese have ruined one of those fold-up camping chairs, the screens on any window they could reach, tap my windows with their bills and peek in at us, attacked our riding lawn mower (didn't manage to hurt it though) and chew on any and everything they can get into their mouths.

We are in the process of building a new barn for them and the turkeys and had metal roofing and framing lumber on the ground today. Naturally, they had to come see what was causing the noise back by the chicken coop. They rounded the corner and stopped dead in their tracks when they saw the metal and lumber on the ground: all 16 began honking their heads off as under attack. Then every one of them went straight for the roofing metal to attack it. You had ought to of seen us scrambling to move it before one of them managed to slice their foot or tongue on it.

I sure love them, but they certainly are goofy critters.

6. RURU

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    We have all sebastopols and they are so nosey. We had our hose holder out on the front porch and my husband put the sprinkler on the top when not in use. Well let's just say the ganders in the small flock just had to taste of it and play with it. Every day the sprinkler would be on the ground after the 6 pack got through with it. Then they would go over to the lawn chairs and tugged on them until they open up the cussion and proceded to pluck the stuffing out all over the front porch and side walk. Then we go to taste the lava rocks and plays with them. Then go get into the black lava rock and put that in with the marble rock. Then go to the mauve shiny rocks and pick them out and play with them.
    Next we go over to the small fence I have around the new pink weeping crab apple tree and start to yank on the fence and push or pull it out to get to the tree so we can try tree leaves.
    YES, I'd say I have very busy sebbies. They keep you laughing your butt off though!!! They then go up to the big trees where my husband put brown rubber like mulch in and we pick them up and play chew on the rubber and drop them.
    I hated to break up the 6 pack but did have to sell a few ganders and traded a couple more with people. So the new owners get the busy little fella's.[​IMG]

7. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Sebastian and Arwen (Sebastopols) LOVE new things and things that make noise.

They do make their own fun. We give them baby toys and Parrot toys, but they just can't resist tearing apart boxes, ripping up papers, banging on their metal food/water pots, dunking the dogs' toys in their water, or pulling down anything from a shelf that's within their reach. Electrical cords are also very desired. [​IMG]

When they are inside the house, we have to constantly keep an eye on them. It is similar to having toddlers in the house! It's a good thing that they keep us laughing!

Sebastian's new trick is to stand on the edge of his water pot, grab hold of the other side of the pot with his beak, and rock the pot back and forth!
    [​IMG]

I thought it was so adorable that Arwen was "typing" on my laptop until I realized that she took off 3 of the keys.
    [​IMG]

8. RURU

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    They are just like toddlers have to have the hands and beaks on EVERYTHING in sight. You just never know just what we will get into next.

I can see the scrable now trying to get the metal up from them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by