You won't believe what Jax did!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Oct 9, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We took Jax to the vet today for his micro-chipping. Before coming home we decided to take him socializing for a bit.
    First we took him to the police dept. He liked everybody he met. Then we took him into the police capt.'s office. Playing around, I pointed to the capt. and told Jax "sic the booger!". Jax lunged for the captain, teeth barred. WARNING! Don't ever do this with a protective GSD. [​IMG] Thankfully, DH had a tight hold on his leash. I learned my lesson and will never again play around like that.
    After the PD we took him to the sheriff's office/jail. Walked Jax around in the SO, letting him meet the jailers and the dispatchers. Then we took him into a room called the troop room. It's where the officers go to do their paperwork.
    Along the wall of the troop room are wooden boxes that look like the mailboxes you'd see at the post office. These boxes have each covered slot stuffed with the smell of various drugs.
    Here's the amazing part. As soon as we walked in the troop room, Jax headed for those boxes and zeroed in one the ones that have had drugs in them! He checked every single row of boxes.
    DH says it's because other dogs (K9s) have been around the boxes, but I thought it was pretty amazing that he zeroed in on the correct boxes. [​IMG]
    We are having so much fun with this puppy! I just wanted to share. [​IMG]

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Wow, that's pretty neat! No drug training, right? One smart puppy, that one.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The only training he's had is the basic obedience training that we've taught him. We're learning as we go. I think alot of his skills come from his good breeding.
    Thanks for the reply. [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Can I just say how very much I am enjoying hearing about all your adventures with Jax (also Kiki) [​IMG]

Good dog [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Pat. We are having a blast. We stopped at McDonalds on our way home today. Fast food meals are a very rare treat with us.
    We ordered Jax a hamburger happy meal. No ketchup or mustard, hold the pickle please. [​IMG] When the cashier asked if the happy meal was for a boy or girl (for the toy), DH told her neither, it's for a dog. The look on her face was priceless. [​IMG]

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] I one time had the lady at the window ask if my dog wanted a straw! [​IMG]

Jax is a clever boy [​IMG] and clearly has a very discriminating sense of smell! The used boxes probably smelled very strange to him and he wanted to see what smelled so weird. Sometimes police departments train to find drugs by putting the drugs inside a very high value toy that the dog really really wants to find until the association is made and then the officer produces the toy after the drugs are found. Could Jax have scented toys, too? Do you know if the department trains like that?

He is such a smart boy!

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey Brindle! [​IMG] It's good to see you around. I have missed your posts.
    Truthfully, the sheriff's deputies that have drug dogs, there are two including the man that gave us Jax, are pretty lazy.
    DH says Jax behaves better than they do. They just wanted the dogs for the distinction of being a K9 officer. [​IMG]
    DH says they do use toys to train the drug dogs.
    Twice we have hidden Jax's favorite thing, his liver baits around the exterior of a police car - on top of the tires, in the bumper, etc. -and had him check the car.

8. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Well thank you! [​IMG]

Your hubby could very easily become a K9 officer with Jax, if he wanted.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ah, DH is at the end of his career. Twenty-eight years and he can retire in April 2010. [​IMG]
    Besides, I would miss Jax so much if he went to work with DH. [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What a smart cookie Jax is! hehehhe..you almost made him attack the captn'.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by