1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You won't believe who saved my chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bragabit, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I looked out my big window just in time to see a huge brown hawk/falcon swoop down across my pasture. I run outside knowing my hens would be targets, or my broody mommys with chicks. Anyways the hawk circles around again and starts to swoop down and this flock of small birds starts attacking the hawks. I don't know what kind of birds they are. Just small tweety birds that eat my chicken grain on occasion and live in the trees around my pasture. Well those tiny birds pelted that hawk and chased it off until I couldn't see it anymore. From now I'll just be grateful for them birds and not annoyed when they eat my chicken feed.

2. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Nature takes care of its own. Yay finches!

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Maybe blackbirds or cowbirds? Oh, they hate the hawks. Listen, nowadays I PAY ATTENTION when the mockingbirds make a ruckus over by the hen house in particular. They have let me know on more than one occasion that something is going on, you know how they are. I always thought they were just a pain but I listen for them because they act up when there's a hawk.

4. Lifestyle Lift Journey

Lifestyle Lift Journey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Wow!!!

Small tweety birds saved your chickens! That's amazing!
    Maybe the small birds are worth sharing your chicken's food.

I'm glad that your chicks are safe now [​IMG]

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    you should put a small bird feeder with food for them, that way they will be there more often to protect your flock

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    one of the neatest things I have seen is catbirds will chase crows to the next county they dislike them so much

7. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I've seen this happen too. I always thought the birds were chasing the hawks away from their own nests and babies, but it's pretty amazing to watch them attack. Now go out and feed those little birdies some extra special treats for a job well done!

8. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    That is great! I once saw crows attack a hawk. They had youg in the nest and the hawk got to close. I havent minded crows since.

9. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Where i live, red winged blackbirds and crows aggressively chase hawks, pecking the hawks tail feathers as they flee...
    Crows and bluejays alert my hens to overhead danger all the time...Some crows can be a problem with eggs snatching and eating chicks, but i haven't had this problem.So i consider the crow a friend. When i get day old chicks i keep them protected until they are big enough to know whats going on and learn to take cover.

10. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    You will attract squirrels and hawks love squirrels.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by