You would not believe the night I had…

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hollymh, May 16, 2009.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Hubby and I were on our way home from our date when I see an object laying in the median, it was a dog, and it was injured but alive, all I say is “Honey!” and he immediately turns around. We get there, a female stray is laying there bleeding, I was a vet tech at one point in time and I could tell she had broken bones and possible internal bleeding, now I’m ticked, beyond ticked off in fact, someone hit this little dog and left her there I have a piece of their car that was laying near her, it’s from the right side undercarriage/right bumper. So it’s 11pm and I’m sitting in the middle of the road w/ this poor dog, my husband calls the cops, they come out and yell at us to get out of the road and leave the dog there, I said some unsavory words and told them to, well you know so they drove off… My husband after sitting with the dog and us determining she isn’t aggressive, scoops her up and carries her to the side of the road by our Jeep, we lay her down, she can’t walk, now I’m sure she has a broken or dislocated hip; she was bleeding but not bad enough to kill her so I sat there and sat there and I’m trying to figure out what to do when I remember my vet will do ER calls, now it’s about 1230am now, and I gathered a small crowd around me as I’m sitting here holding this pup, I was AMAZED that anyone stopped in the first place!!! So we load the poor baby in the car when my phone rings, it’s my vet, THANK GOD!!! We rushed her to her and she over-looks her, by now I’m hoping to keep this girl, so you can imagine my dismay when we realized she had not only a broken hip like I suspected, but a broken scapula and a broken pelvis, my vet just looks at me with knowing eyes and ask me what to do, it’s up to me… I decided to put the poor girl to sleep… I of course cried because she was such a fighter and held on for two hours while I sat with her trying to figure out what to do! So, now I’m out SEVERAL hundreds of dollars for a dog that SOMEONE else HIT!!! I wouldn’t change a thing I did, but I’m absolutely livid that someone left her there for dead like that and it was very obvious that she was still alive!!! I’m so sick of people; people are just so evil… So if you hit a dog, please stop, I can’t afford to keep doing this and I shouldn’t have to, people need to take responsibility for their actions; even if it includes putting a dog to sleep because you hit it!!!

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Agree whole heartedly.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ooh, thats so sad and sick! Sometimes i hate people..i really do.. cruel..sick..heartless people. Thanks for all you did for her...she couldnt say it,but i can. [​IMG]

4. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:It was so incerdibly sad, she just kept looking at me with these sad brown eyes, she just wanted someone to help her! She looked so pitiful, poor baby, at least she isn't hurting now... The cops told me to leave her there until the morning, I'm kept thinking to myself they have got to be joking!!! How awful would it have been to leave her there and let her suffer for hours, and she would have too! Had I left her, she would of died of dehydration or shock hours and hours later, I couldn't do that to her!!!

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thankfully i didnt run across that police officer...i'd would be trying to get bail money up now..

6. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quote:It was so incerdibly sad, she just kept looking at me with these sad brown eyes, she just wanted someone to help her! She looked so pitiful, poor baby, at least she isn't hurting now... The cops told me to leave her there until the morning, I'm kept thinking to myself they have got to be joking!!! How awful would it have been to leave her there and let her suffer for hours, and she would have too! Had I left her, she would of died of dehydration or shock hours and hours later, I couldn't do that to her!!!

Holly thank god for people like you. [​IMG]

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I will comment on this.

First, you shouldnt be mad at the person that hit that dog, but at the person that didnt bother putting thier dog on a leash into a pen/kennel, or was to busy to at least stand outside with thier dog.

Second I would have stopped and would have wanted to find who the dogs owner was not only so they could pay to put the dog to sleep, but also so they could pay for the damage to my car.

I know its not the dogs fault, but dont blame the person that didnt stop for a stray, or if they did stop and called the police obviously the police didnt care either.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Holly, you have got to be one of the most awesome people I've heard of!!
    I too, would have done the same thing. I HATE when people do this. First off, how in the heck can you not see them? I mean really? When I drive down the road, I'm looking for anything that might run out at me, be it an animal or child, doesn't matter. I've stopped before for other animals in the past, and my heart just breaks. I bet you'd even put yourself in harms way, just to help one helpless animal. I've often been told, that I'd get myself hit, trying to help an animal. You did the right thing, to put the sweet girl out of her misery. I know in your heart you felt that too. All I can say is, please keep up that great work, we need more people like you in the world! [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh, and Thank You.

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Marlin..stray or not..it does not deserve to lay there and suffer...and i DO agree with you about the owners..but we dont know the story..maybe it had just escaped..or maybe it was abandoned.. either way..you dont leave an animal to die in pain on the side of the road if you hit it with your car. [​IMG]

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    The world is lucky there are people like you in it! Thank you for doing what you did and don't stop. She felt your love in her last hours. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by