You'll have to picture this! Updated with graphic photo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Mar 1, 2015.

1. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My five-year old Black Cochin Morgan, the biggest, roundest fluffiest Cochin you've ever seen, was literally carrying her egg around stuck to her fluffy butt feathers.

At first glance, nothing seemed different about her fluffy butt. I was on my knees raking under the coop, and Morgan zeroed in like a guided missile, demanding a hug. As she dove between my legs, I caught a glimpse of something large hanging from her butt. At first I thought it was a turd since she has ridden those around before on her butt feathers.

Then I thought, to my horror, it's a prolapsed vent. I parted her thick butt fluff and there was a perfect egg glued there. I think she was aware of something heavy hanging off her butt because she was complaining very loudly, and it stopped after I liberated the egg.

I'm surprised none of the other hens went after it and liberated it first.

No matter how long you've been keeping chickens, there's always something new.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    lol [​IMG]
    cochins are awesome...always do something cute and funny :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She did it again! I was cleaning out the coop while Morgan was laying her egg first thing at the crack of dawn. She and I both finished up at the same time, and I caught a glimpse of her racing out the pop hole with, you guessed it, another egg glued to her butt fluff! So I grabbed her before any of the other hens could peck the egg off her butt and raced with her into the house so I could find the camera and take this photo.

I need a hair product to spray on her butt fluff to make it slippery so her eggs don't stick. Something like Pam for chicken butts. Anyone have any recommendations?

As you might suspect she left a bomb on my kitchen table as a thank you for recording this momentous event.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    lol...that poor chicken. :)
    she's a pretty chicken, even from behind

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    LOL, thanks for the chuckle. Did you ever find anything to put on her to help?

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    no, not sure......

7. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Lol, there is just no privacy is there [​IMG]

You could try trimming her fuzzy butt feathers away to allow a 'clear path' for the egg to release properly.

What a sweet girl [​IMG] She's probably wondering what on earth is going on back there, and where the heck her egg went!

- Krista

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I stopped in at Wal-Mart and perused the hair products aisle. I just happened to pull the first thing off the shelf I saw, and it turned out to be L'Oreal "Sleek It" Strand Smoother Serum-spray. Heck, for $3, it's worth a shot. So I bought it and took it home and tried it on Morgan's butt. She has not had an egg stick since.

She smells nice, too.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Haha brilliant!

10. K-Kritter

K-Kritter Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    You need to write a 'Day in the Life' for your chicken adventures!! Too funny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by