1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You'll Never Believe This!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grillmaster33, May 10, 2008.

1. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    My chicks are three days old and already I've found a rooster!

I have ten chicks in my homemade brooder. The brooder has a stuffed bear inside that the chicks love climbing under for sleep or to hop on just to hang out.

Well one of my little three day-old chicks hopped upon the bear, flapped his wings, and let out the tiniest CROW i've ever heard. I thought I must be going insane!!! My eyes widened and sharpened on the little chick. He stood proudly for a few seconds...and there it was again...neck stretched...a CROW!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone!?!?! It this God's work? I'm off to get my camera RIGHT now!!! I hope I can catch it!

Wow.

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh WOW! Three days old? I have to see! Hurry and try to catch the little guy doing it! How awesome is that! Too bad the little buggers don't always crow so young, it would make sexing a heck of a lot easier! LOL. [​IMG]

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a cell phone w/video, get it on video, too!

Awesome!!![​IMG] And I thought my lil ones were "way above average, and Gifted and Talented!"

4. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    WoW! Ese didn't crow till he was about five months old....and it was the sweetest screech....he was perched on my leg and crowed three times just like he was supposed to! I have the following day recorded on my phone and made more people listen to it than I want to admit to...it sounded like a wind-up metal godzilla toy....by the time the state farm crowing contest came up he was a pro....but I thought it would be funny to enter this barely audible screecher!!! Luckily Ese is fairly lazy and doesn't crow until 7....although he's been more on top of it since he had babies....he keeps them on the move

5. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    The first time I had seen it. I thought...Lemme grab my camera phone! And then I thought...nah...it mustve been him trying to get out a poo or something...

No poo...but a few seconds later there it was....
    The babe on the bear crowing!

Of course, THEN, I thought, I need my REAL camera. Got back...and he was pecking around being a chick again....

But wow.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, it's possible. I've had them crow at five days old before. Cute, isn't it?

7. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    I was stunned.
    But of course when I get the camera and lock eyes on the brooder for an hour straight, nothing happens...lol

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hope you get that pic, LOL. Here was my itty bitty Ameraucana roo crowing; at least, it was my attempt to catch him in the act. It was the neck stretching part and the sound came out as "buh-REEEET!"
    [​IMG]

9. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Oh wow, and I am IMpatiently waiting for my rooster who is 7 weeks old to crow. I know I may have a long wait! [​IMG]

10. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    momma's chickens :

Oh wow, and I am IMpatiently waiting for my rooster who is 7 weeks old to crow. I know I may have a long wait! [​IMG]

I'm waiting for mine's first crow, too, but of course it will be like wanting a child to talk, then wishing they didn't!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by