You'll never believe what I found at Wal Mart! Update #36 *Pics*

cyanne

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Cedar Creek, TX
The hubby and I were leaving Wal Mart today, and as we turned the corner in the parking lot we saw, of all things, a CHICKEN run out in front of our car!
ep.gif

walmart_chicken_1.jpg

After the initial shock wore off, I jumped out of the car and we proceeded to run all over the parking lot trying to catch the poor thing. She was limping a little and was missing a lot of feathers, but she was still able to give us quite a workout trying to corner and grab her! Finally, she ran under a parked SUV and climbed up into the undercarriage where she crammed herself on top of the rear axle. At that point it was pretty easy for me to shimmy underneath on my belly and grab her by her legs to pull her out. Once I had her in my arms she was completely still and calm and sat that way for the entire car ride home.

Not sure what breed she is (mebbe you guys can help with that), or how the heck she got into the Wal Mart parking lot, but she has a much better home now. Also, just guessing on the 'she' part...
fl.gif

walmart_chicken_2.jpg

So far, I've given her a bath because she was pretty dirty and oily from the parking lot and then once she was dry I dusted her for mites and put her in a cage to isolate her from my chickens. The plan is to keep her there until I figure out what, if anything, is wrong and treat it.

What I've noted so far is that her weight seems really good, she's got plenty of meat on her so she's not sickly in that way. She's missing a LOT of feathers so she might either be molting or else she was in with some nasty roosters or was attacked by some sort of predator (no skin damage, though). Her nose isn't running, but after the bath I noticed some bubbling in her eyes while drying her off. It went away while I was drying her and did not come back, so I'm not sure if that might be just from the bath or if I should give her some antibiotics for possible respiratory issues.

The first poo I observed was a watery green and white mess, very bright green. The ones after that were pretty much normal except that the part that is normally brown was green. Not sure if this is a sign of illness or if it's just because she's been eating who-knows-what from the parking lot for who-knows-how-long.

Poor girl!

I'd love any advice on what to look for during the quarantine period and what things I might want to go ahead and treat for just in case (should I worm her for example?).

Last edited:
Once, when I was still working, my boss freaked out when he discovered his wife's favorite chicken had ridden to work under his truck(on the undercarriage). He had all his employees running all over the parking lot to catch her. By the time he first discovered her out in the parking lot -at quitting time- she had laid an egg under his truck.
lau.gif
She was safely returned before his wife ever knew she "had gone to town". Perhaps this is how your lovely hen got to Wally World?
lau.gif
She has a good home now.

Poor girl. Thank goodness you were there to catch her. If she is healthy, she will come back more beautiful than ever. Don't know but she looks like she might be Ameracauna and doesn't look to be too old, maybe 6 to 8 months.

Quote:
It's hard to tell her true color with all of the missing and shredded feathers, but she seems to have a similar coloring to my light brown leghorns. BUT, her earlobes are red so she can't be a leghorn. Her legs are whitish yellow, and her comb is a funny short single comb that flops over to one side.

When she's down on the ground she has one of those really upright tails that look like a young leghorn or a game chicken.

I'm thinking she might be some sort of game bird mix, as a lot of the illicit chickens around here tend to be some sort of cubalaya mix or something.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what she looks like when she's not half nekkid.
tongue.png

Can you get a picture of her standing? I'd like to see her regular posture. What type of comb does she have? From the pictures it looks like a rosecomb, but looks can be deceiving. She could be a "game" breed, or possibly a brown leghorn mix.

It is hard to tell what she is because of the condition of her feathers. Which look be in such bad shaped due to being heavily mated.

I bet she was in a group that was on their way to an auction or sale. Got out of the cage she was crammed into with no telling how many others.

barnie.gif
Probably belonged to someone that shouldn't have chickens in the first place.

thumbsup.gif
Now she belongs to someone that will take care of her and either give her a good life or find a place where she will be taken care of.

Matt

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll try to get a good pic of her standing up tomorrow. Her stance and body shape is very much like my leghorn and andalusian pullets; she's slender and has an upright, fanned out tail. Her comb is tough to get a good pic of, but it is basically just a small straight comb that flops over to one side.

Quote:
It's hard to tell her true color with all of the missing and shredded feathers, but she seems to have a similar coloring to my light brown leghorns. BUT, her earlobes are red so she can't be a leghorn. Her legs are whitish yellow, and her comb is a funny short single comb that flops over to one side.

When she's down on the ground she has one of those really upright tails that look like a young leghorn or a game chicken.

I'm thinking she might be some sort of game bird mix, as a lot of the illicit chickens around here tend to be some sort of cubalaya mix or something.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what she looks like when she's not half nekkid.
tongue.png

I can assure you she has no Cubalaya in her.
cool.png

The green poo sounds a little worrying. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. Maybe some water with electrolytes in it would be great for the poor little baby. I bet she was hungry and thirsty.

Back
Top Bottom