You'll never believe what just hatched...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perfectly_polish, Jun 6, 2008.

1. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I just had a ton of self blue and self black frizzle polish hatch. I took them out of the 'bator to put in the brooder, and I noticed one of them had a small crooked beak, it isn't bad and she was eating some mash. But after further examination I noticed she only had one eye! She has such a big crest already I didn't really notice it at first, but I looked and sure enough she only had one eye. I looked where the other eye is suppose to be and when I touched it, black stuff came out...eyeball juice? She's really healthy and is eating and drinking so I don't just wanna kill her because she has one eye. But what do you think the black stuff coming out could be?

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    ewwwww I am not usually grossed out buy stuff but I am eating mack and cheese [​IMG] well I really hope that this speacial little chick lives.

Henry

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I never kill one for one bad eye, it can see out of the other it will be fine.

4. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    That is cool. You should definetly keep it. I want it...[​IMG]

5. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    You can name it "Cyclopes"

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have one with a little bit of cross beak and one-eye too. Maybe it's genetically linked? I know cleft palette and club feet are connected. I figured mother nature would take it's course, but he/she is doing well. Of course if it grows to adulthood I wouldn't be hatching any eggs from it.

7. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    You MUST name it Cylclops!!![​IMG]

8. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:[​IMG] I was either thinking cyclops or pop eye [​IMG] It's going to look so weird when he gets older. And I got a buff laced polish from my feed store with only 2 toes. I like these weird animals. All the other ones that hatches don't have any defects, but I deffiently won't get any eggs from this guy/girl. I have more eggs due to hatch Sunday, so I'll see if I get any more "weirdos"

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    how cute!

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    PP watch the crooked beak. If it's crossbeak it may get worse. As for the eye
    that's a tough one. Personally I would just watch her until she has a problem
    or the crossbeak gets worse.

I have a silkie, a friendly little young pullet with crossbeak right now. It's getting
    worse every day. I'm going to have to cull her but I really hate the idea. Eventually
    she will not be able to eat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by