You'll never guess what I found!!!

perfectly_polish

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
CT
Okay so I didn't exactly find it, my dog, Aussie, did. One of our hens went missing and I though maybe something got her. Well when I was over near the barn today aussie starts sniffing under it, and barking. I look under but don't see anything. So now i'm thinking "Oh great there's probably a dead bird/animal under there." So I went around to the back of the barn with a flashlight and see the hen that went missing. She was moving so I poked her and much to my delight she bit me! It turns out that she is sitting on a clutch of eggs! My first broody hen! I'm not sure how many, because she is under a step and it's hard to reach her. She is a silkie, cochin mix. She is a little over a year old, the lady I bought her from said all she did was go broody. So I was hoping this day would come. I'm thinking she has quite a few eggs under her, she is a big girl. And I have also been noticing latley that I had eggs go missing. Normally I could get 5,6, or even 7 eggs a day, and all of a sudden I'm only getting one. She now I've found the eggs theif too. Tonight I'm going to go see if I can candle any of her eggs, if I can reach them. I tried taking pictures but my battery died, but pictures are soon to come! Can't wait for the chicks!

woot.gif
Congrats and the best
fl.gif
on a good hatch!!!

It's just getting dark out now. I'm so excited to go out and candle them to see how far along they are, maybe I can sneak a few more in
wink.png

Glad to hear you found your girl!!!
clap.gif
That happened with Miss Priss just a few weeks ago. Was terrified that something had gotten to her, but one morning (a bad one at that) She came jumping out of the old pump house nearly flew into me and started bouncing her way down to the pasture. She sure made my day!
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom