You'll never guess what my daddy was….

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HetaChick, Nov 5, 2011.

1. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I took her on a camping trip and got some great shots…)

Used to look like…
    [​IMG]

And before that…
    [​IMG]

For the longest time I couldn't figure out what she was exactly. I knew she was an EE…
    And the person I got her from didn't know the parent chickens (she was hatching them for a sort of project…)

And when she laid her first dark brown egg… I was even more curious to know what her father was…
    So the same girl got in contact with me later and told me her daddy was a silkie… O.O

Chicken genetics are bizarre, but I got a beautiful hen out of it :3
    Thank you for taking the time to look at my little pet chicken!~

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    She's beautiful! And I would NEVER have guessed her daddy was a Silkie... Wow. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    wow... silkie? I would never have guessed. Would love to see a pic of her eggs. Reminds me of one I hatched out from Miss Jaynes eggs... a Delware X LB Leghorn.

4. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    Thank you [​IMG]
    And yeah me neither, when she told me I was like…
    Wait… WHAT?!

Well she is pretty soft, but her feathers are nothing like a Silkie… Maybe if one day I breed her the genes will show up in the offspring some time. For now though, she is my soft little (demanding) pet chicken with eggs that don't match the usual EE trait.

5. HetaChick

May 31, 2011
    California
    Okay! I'll upload a picture of her egg versus a store-bought large white egg. I just took the picture with my phone (where the other pics came from as well).

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea, I would have lost a bet on that too. I knew she had EE in her cuz look at those green legs. Love those!!! And then when you said dark egg, I'm thinking Marans.

She looks like a sweetheart.

7. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    I would have never guessed Silkie! She is a beautiful girl. [​IMG] Thank you for sharing your great pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by