Young Ameraucana hen quit laying

Jrbegl01

Hatching
Aug 7, 2022
I have a young Ameraucana hen, about 6 months old, who had been laying almost every day, but all of a sudden quit laying all together. We thought she might be egg bound and did everything like warm epsom salt baths, kept her separate from the rest of the flock... she is acting completely normal and the rest of the flock is laying as normal, but we are getting nothing from her. It has been this way for almost 2 weeks, so no way she is egg bound at this point. We also have one more Ameraucana hen who is still laying, but I noticed the blue/green color of her eggs have become more dull/ lighter in color. We have a flock of 11 total and there are no issues with any of the other girls. Does anyone have any ideas for what's going on with my Ameraucanas?

It has been this way for almost 2 weeks, so no way she is egg bound at this point.
The molt is one usual cause. If you are seeing feathers floating around we can talk about that more but it's pretty unlikely.

My main thought is that she is hiding a nest on you. It's one specific hen with an easily recognizable egg. This is real common in your situation.

It's not an egg eater, they would not just pick on one color of egg. Do you have a family member that likes to play practical jokes. People have mentioned that kind of stuff on the forum.

Or Sourland may be right and she's just taking a break. You say she is acting normally so she is not broody.

We also have one more Ameraucana hen who is still laying, but I noticed the blue/green color of her eggs have become more dull/ lighter in color.
It's not unusual for a hen's eggs to get lighter as they get later in the laying cycle. You'll likely notice it with your brown egg layers too. It's probably more to do with the brown that turns that underlying blue color greenish. Could be a couple of things. Before they start to lay or when they are molting they seem to store up something they need to create that brown. The raw material for the brown pigment is recycled dead red blood cells, that is always available. It's like they use up a catalyst to make that conversion so there is less brown to go around the later in the laying season they go.

The other thing, and one I suspect, is that many hens only make a certain amount of that brown pigment. The longer they lay the bigger a pullet's eggs get so that same amount of brown has to cover a larger shell so it looks lighter. The same kind of thing is probably happening with your brown egg layers but you have more of them so it's not as noticeable as when you are looking at a specific egg.

I don't see anything alarming in anything you said. They can be real masters at hiding a nest right under your nose in the coop, let alone in the run or if they free range. Good luck!

I have a young Ameraucana hen, about 6 months old, who had been laying almost every day, but all of a sudden quit laying all together.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

The first two posters have addressed your concerns quite well. :highfive:

I will share that laying every day is only common in new layer for Ameraucana. Once mature, every other day (or up to 4 eggs per week) is more common.

My first year Easter eggers and others that year.. laid every day for 21 days in row, took a one day break, then another 21 days and 1 day break several cycles like that before the laying system took some down time and she didn't for 3 weeks before returning again to lay.

This is essentially a new layer hiccup in my experience.

As the bird matures and daylight wanes.. the reproductive cycle will settle back into it's natural rhythm.

Back
Top Bottom