YOUNG AMERAUCANA ROOSTER - FREE - Santa Cruz mountains CA

dinkbradders

Chirping
Oct 17, 2017
Hey guys, like so many of us, I bought two chicks from a feed and supply store, who guaranteed pullets but this one just started mounting all the ladies and they have stopped laying in protest, and is practicing his crow.

We had named it Sprite, he is about 5 months old (May 5th) and pretty gorgeous white with tan wings (I will try to get a pic).

I will call the feed store to see if they will re-home but like others I would hate that he end up on a table so thought I would try here first.

Chris

Yeah, hens definitely do not stop laying to protest breeding, if that was the case then chickens would not exist, they would have gone extinct thousands of years ago. Your hens are probably slowing down because of changing daylight hours, they might also be molting. Have they even started laying yet? 5 months is pretty early... Also, this is not an Ameraucana, it is an Easter Egger, if you got it from a feed store then that alone will usually tell you it is not an Ameraucana. Another thing that tells you it is not an Ameraucana is the fact that it is white with tan wings.

Hey guys, like so many of us, I bought two chicks from a feed and supply store, who guaranteed pullets but this one just started mounting all the ladies and they have stopped laying in protest, and is practicing his crow.

We had named it Sprite, he is about 5 months old (May 5th) and pretty gorgeous white with tan wings (I will try to get a pic).

I will call the feed store to see if they will re-home but like others I would hate that he end up on a table so thought I would try here first.

Chris

L1040599.JPG
Actually I think that the egg laying slow down is, like you say, the seasons changing. One of them just went into full moltdown, overnight though the others aren't showing any signs of molting yet. He is chasing them all around but most of them pretty much beat him off.

He did just let rip with some lovely crowing this morning but I have already had protests from both my neighbors (though shame they can't hear their own dogs when they go out!!!) so know finding him a home is going to be best. I am just so worried about the people that use them for cock-fighting! I heard 80 dead roo's just turned up at the side of the road in Watsonville, very very sad. Thx guys

(not the best pic, its a bit hot here and he didn't want a pic today)

[QUOTE="dinkbradders, post: 20552164, member: He is chasing them all around but most of them pretty much beat him off.
[/QUOTE]
Silly hens! It would be a lot easier for them just squatting for him instead of beating him off.
:eek::lau:gig

You stepped right into that pile!

Back
Top Bottom