1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Bird suddenly passing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosiewittig, Sep 1, 2016.

1. rosiewittig

rosiewittig New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

First off hello! I have a nice like flock of six sex link hens. They have been doing good and laying for almost two months. This morning I went to collect eggs and one of my girls was passed away on the nest. When I moved her there were three eggs under her as they all usually lay in the same spot for some reason. I can't see any obvious reason why she would have passed. I have three black sex link that are one week younger than my red. She was one of the black but she was the largest hen of the whole bunch. I just took these pictures of her yesterday ...any thoughts?

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    My guess would be egg bound. I found my only Black sex link -Josie- dead in the nesting box one morning as well. Hadn't seen any signs of a problem the day before. I checked her body for an egg and sure enough there was one in there. Maybe she had an underlying issue and straining to get her egg out was just too much. I'm sorry for your loss.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, egg bound or a heart attack? Lost my sweetest hen this spring to a heart attack..She was an Ameruacana ....RIP Esther...She was not one years old yet..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by