Young birds/feathering out/cold tolerance questions.........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabby3535, Mar 4, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

The last week of April, I will be getting some 'young' pullets and one young roo.........
    They will all be between the ages of 4-6 weeks.
    My questions are the following........
    1. Should they be feather out by then and coop ready?
    2. Will they need a supplemental heat source in the coop?
    3. or, will they be okay in the coop and run 'without' any supplemental heat, with only each other for warmth?
    4. If you 'do' recommend a heat source, what's the low temp. range they'll be okay without it turned on?

and off the topic...........if these young birds have not been fed medicated feed right from the start, is 4-6 weeks
    still okay to get them 'onto' a medicated feed? (They will not have been vaccinated for Coccidia)

Thanks for any advice...........

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Going by the younger age of 4 weeks, they can be out in a draft free coop if you can keep the temp. in the 75 to 80 range.
    I got my (day old) chicks in early April when our daytime temps. were 60s & 70s, and high 30s low 40s at night. They were fine in a shed with two heat lamps (in case one burned out).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Yes, it would be fine to start them on medicated feed at 4-6 weeks old.

4. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks!
    Forgot to ask............how long are they actually on the medicated chick feed? (What age to stop, and begin layer feed?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by