Young BO Acting Broodyish, Not broody

Grace11

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2011
This gal is 8 mos old, had 3 of them, one was a roo, someone who wanted him got him, kept the 2 pullets. When they started laying 2 mos ago, shortly afterward she started broody clucking. I put them in with the flock. and she got much worse. if the Rooster gets anywhere near her, she poofs herself up, spreads her wings like shes protecting her chicks(none) and runs around like a crazy thing. other hens can set her off too. Her breast is Not hot like a real broody would be. This seems really abnormal, could something be wrong with her, crazy or some weird hormone thing???? she does NOT sit in a nest xcept to lay and she gets out soon. Ive had BO's before, they are wonderful chickens and I had one i named mama cause she would set me some eggs every year, a really nice gal, she just got old. I'm about to just go ahead and put her down since this seems so abnormal. I dont know if maybe some 24 hr lite treatment might help or any other thoughts on this would be appreciated. Ive broken a few other broodies with the cage off the ground and cold dunks on their breasts, but this seems differant.
Thanks ahead of time!

I've had broodies that have not set. I would try breaking her in a wire bottomed crate to see if it snaps her out of it before culling.

Howdy Grace11

I have had some very confused first time broodys; including skipping the whole nest thing and jumping straight to raising invisible babies, warding off others etc.

In my experience, it is not abnormal.

I too would give her a couple of days in the broody breaker or, if she is not causing too much havoc, leave her be until she gets over it and hopefully next time around she will have worked it out.

Thats good to know, so maybe she mite go real broody in March-May would sure be a fine thing. I dont think theres anything finer than a good big BO sitting on her eggs and raising her chicks. I have a Marans that will sit eggs, but she goes beserk when anyone comes around and she tramples her babies so i have to remove them and hope I can graft the chicks into someone elses brood.
Thanks!

That BO finally went broody for real so I gave her some eggs to hatch. She did a fine job, came out with 4 fine chicks. Im waiting to see what happens when I take them away in a couple more weeks with her. I was glad to see that she doesnt go beserk when I come near/handle her babies. good ending so far!

That's awesome!
I have a Splash Orpington raising Chicks..i Plan to leave Her with them till she decides its time to let them go....I have a Bantam Also due to Hatch today.....So nice having Hens raise the Chicks.....

Congrats!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom