Young Brahma Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ragladysews, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    I have a young hen I just purchased from a local chicken grower. I bought her because she is the same breed as my rooster and another hen. The hen is apparently at the bottom of the order. I have a problem with her hiding out in the coop except when I go in to feed and water. She comes running out to me. I pet her, give her a treat(feed). She hides in one of the nests, poops all over the egg I have in there. Is this a problem, should I move her out to another pen. She has an older hen who she seems to be close to, a black sexlink. Im not sure what to do? Help!

2. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has this been going on? Whenever I had a new chicken they were on the bottom of the totem pole for at least a week. Plus, Brahma may be big, but they are pretty mild mannered and are often not the top chicken one might think they would be.

3. It's going to take some time for her to work out her place with the others and get comfortable in her new surroundings. She is going to get pecked and it is not bad for her to have a safe place to escape to for a while. Try giving the flock special treats, like lots of cabbage or watermelon rind cut into hunks, and throw them around so everyone can grab a piece or two. It gets them all out together but everyone is entertained. It is important there is enough food to spread around so the more assertive ones don't hog it all and the new ones have easy access. If she has a new friend she feels comfortable hanging with, things are going in the right direction.

4. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    Thanks for the advise. She is kind of funny the way she finds places to hide. When I go in the run, she comes running out to see me. Yes, shes becoming my favorite. Shes so pitiful looking. I will let her stay for a while and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by