Young Brahma rooster is almost crowing age, advice on reducing crowing?

Sire12

Songster
Aug 29, 2016
Northern Ireland
I hatched out 3 chicks in my first incubation and 1 is a roo, he's a real sweetie though I'd hate to have to give him away
He is currently at the bottom of the pecking order and has been since the chicks were introduced to the laying hens, the dominant hen is very bossy she even started mounting the other hens for a while so is it possible that the hen could maintain dominance even when the roo reaches maturity? And if so would this reduce his crowing?
I've read of the no crow collar and that some people have had bad experiences, having their roosters die from suffocation and since brahmas start crowing at 7 months and don't stop growing until at least 18 months it means it would need to be adjusted for a year I'd be scared of not adjusting it properly enough over that time and it would get too tight at some point and suffocate him
I plan to make a night box for him on the porch floor below where I keep the guinea pigs, he's already used to roosting on his own already since he's so big even for 6 months he can't get up on the roosts with the girls, is there anything else I can do? Are brahma roos known to be loud / quiet crowers?
I planned on giving away any roos that hatch but since he's the only one and so sweet I'd really hate to see him go, Thanks for any help

Can/do you only have the 3 birds?
Are roosters not allowed where you live?

It's hard to say how things will work out once the cockerel is mature,
usually a wait and see kind of thing,
much can depend on how you manage them and how much space you have for them.

There will be 9 hens and 1 roo if he stays, oh would that help to keep a roo quiet if there's enough to occupy him? it's a fairly big yard I added different areas of activities for them some swings, salad bars a compost heap and a climbing frame, and dust baths on dry days

How did it work out? We also ended up with just one Brahma roo after we bought all pullets and he is our favorite so I would like to keep him if we can!

I hatched out 3 chicks in my first incubation and 1 is a roo, he's a real sweetie though I'd hate to have to give him away
He is currently at the bottom of the pecking order and has been since the chicks were introduced to the laying hens, the dominant hen is very bossy she even started mounting the other hens for a while so is it possible that the hen could maintain dominance even when the roo reaches maturity? And if so would this reduce his crowing?
I've read of the no crow collar and that some people have had bad experiences, having their roosters die from suffocation and since brahmas start crowing at 7 months and don't stop growing until at least 18 months it means it would need to be adjusted for a year I'd be scared of not adjusting it properly enough over that time and it would get too tight at some point and suffocate him
I plan to make a night box for him on the porch floor below where I keep the guinea pigs, he's already used to roosting on his own already since he's so big even for 6 months he can't get up on the roosts with the girls, is there anything else I can do? Are brahma roos known to be loud / quiet crowers?
I planned on giving away any roos that hatch but since he's the only one and so sweet I'd really hate to see him go, Thanks for any help

How did it work out? We also ended up with just one Brahma roo after we bought all pullets and he is our favorite so I would like to keep him if we can!

Hi he's doing great I got a velcro strip and used it as a rooster collar and it works fine, I don't have it on too tight just enough to dampen the noise level of the crow plus I think because he is so big and has a deeper voice that he doesnt have that high pitched type of crow anyway, he is also an utter gentleman! Any food I drop for them he clucks to let the girls know there are treats here, same thing with their grain and pellets he stands back and let's them eat first pointing his head at the ground to pinpoint for them where the goodies are, anytime I pick up one of the shy hens they cluck to show their annoyance at being picked and up he comes zooming over to make sure they're ok, but he's very gentle with me I can pick him up and pet him, he does still try walk away before being picked up but when I'm holding him he's really calm, when he was coming of age though he did peck at me a few times I had to teach him not to do that and now he's fine, if ever I get more chooks in the future it will definately be brahmas and ideally from the same stock I hatched the roo out of (the brahma hen from that stock is incredibly docile she's the only one that doesn't try to walk away before being picked up) hopefully some of that info helps and I hope you get to keep yours :) here's how big he is compared to my jack Russel

Attachments

• 20180130_083349.jpg
    20180130_083349.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 99
He is gorgeous! Thanks so much! I am hopeful we will be able to keep him. We don’t have a rule we can’t have roosters but we are on a lake so the sound echoes and people do vacation here in the summer so noise is a factor ;-)

Back
Top Bottom