young broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red dragon, Nov 27, 2011.

1. red dragon

red dragon New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    I've been reading BYC for about a year but finally registered today with a question I can't seem to find an answer for. I got my first chicks - buff orpingtons- last may. The first hen to start laying in late Sept. decided 2 days ago to go broody already. I'd be thrilled about this except that it's winter at 8,000' feet in the mountains of northern NM and will be for another 4 months. While our wattle & daub coop is warm and cozy for the adults, I worry about having new chicks. So, here's the question: If I discourage her behavior by removing her from the nesting area, will I discourage her from going broody later when it's spring? Thanks so much for any advice!

Permaculture homesteader in the land of enchantment

2. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert. You'll find BYC folks are very friendly and always eager to help, but I am afraid I can't help with that question.

^bump

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I had a splash copper marans that did that this summer. I broke her of it because it was so late in the season. She hasn't resumed laying as well as I would have liked but no way did i want her setting at that time.
    I had a bunch under 1 year setting this year. I hope they set again next year but none of my previous setters repeated for me. Time will tell what happens. It may also be breed specific. None of ours set before summer though and we really would prefer early spring chicks so they lay in the fall when the oldsters moult.
    I have heard of hens raising chicks in the snow so it can be done. Our late hatch was more susceptible to hawk attack and natural cover is not as heavy for them to hide. I think it may be one of those danged if you do and danged if you don't situations.

4. red dragon

red dragon New Egg

Nov 27, 2011
    Thank you for the input - there's just no substitute for experience! I guess I'll let nature have her way since it's usually futile and ill-advised to fight her. Anyone with any other experiences, I'd love to hear.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The answer to your question is no, but with a qualifier. Some hens may not get broody again, but the majority will. Now, I`ve never had chickens in a climate such as yours, but I`ve had hens hatch and raise a brood in temps down to 30 with no problem. Seems they just run up under mom if they get cold, but also, they seem to cope with cold much better than you would expect.......Pop

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I had a hen hatch two for two in below zero weather in the coop. I did take the chicks and move them to a brooder though. I had a hen hatch one in the late winter and left them in the coop but the chick disappeared. I should have taken it away. If you can giver her her own space that would be good.

But Lollipop is right , she may or may not go broody again. Hens are females and pretty much do what they want when they want. [​IMG]

I wish you the best,

Rancher

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by