young broody on bad eggs?? how do i tell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Jul 14, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ok so my young hen which i didnt even realise was laying, has gone broody and was sitting on a clutch of 16 eggs.
    i dont believe they are all hers and could have been there for a while, but shes fiercly defending them in a thistle patch out in the field.
    anyhow i took a couple yesterday to try and candle them, couldnt see much so cracked them and they were both bad (runny yellow yolk and red (blood?) streaks in. i tried another today and it was runny yellow yolk with red veins in and an embryo in the middle, but couldnt see a heart beat and it looked a bit...well... not right, fuzzy?

so i fear the other 13 eggs shes sitting on are all old and shes wasting her time. i dont know how long shes been 'sitting' for as she went missing a while back and we happen to spot her yesterday/day before (hence how i found the nest)

would it be worth me removing all eggs from under her and replacing with 'fresh' ones (would she notice? especially if she'd already been sitting for a few weeks?) or just leave her be and hope she gives up on the rotten eggs?

is there any way i can tell if ANY under her are good? candling isnt working due to the egg colour and my crappy lamp!

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well candling is really the only way to tell if any of them are good unless you want to set a start date and wait the time out to see if any hatch.

She'd probably take replacement eggs.... from what I understand of a lot of broodies is that they don't really care if the eggs take 2 months or 2 days to hatch after laying on them, they are done when they get chicks. The chances of her just giving up are slim, you would have to take all the eggs and move her to get her to stop. They're very stubborn when they want babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by