1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Buff Orp went broody in mid October!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tatiana110, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Tatiana110

Tatiana110 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 7 months old Buff Orpington, who decided to do broody last week. She has been sitting on an empty nest faithfully for 4 days now, not leaving it for the night. She clucks like a broody when she comes out to poop and eat twice a day.

The question is whether it is possible to hatch chicks in mid November and raise them through the winter successfully?

We are in Pacific North West, our winters are mild but very wet.

I would like to give her some eggs to sit, we have a beautiful show quality mottled Cochin rooster and wheaten Production Red hens (a cross of RIR and Rhodes Island White, excellent layers), and I'd be curious to see the offspring. We will not keep the Cochin, so this is a one time opportunity for me to see the chicks sired by him.

Thank you!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes it is quite possible. Provided the hen has sufficient shelter she can easily hatch and raise chicks any time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by