Young Chic Constipated?

TiffsChics

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2021
I have 3 Welsummer pullets that are about 7 weeks old. This morning one of them seemed very off. She hesitated for quite a while to fly down to the run area for breakfast (almost seemed off balance) & then just stood around once she was down there. I removed her from the coop and have her in a comfortable box in my laundry room with electrolyte water & food. She is not eating or drinking. Fights to open her beak for any fluids. She is just standing with her feathers very puffed out in a meditative state. This morning she had watery bowels but other than what seems like urine, she has not gone anymore today. This afternoon I noticed a long piece of poopy grass coming out of her vent so I gloved up and inspected her better. It now looks like a never ending turd trying to come out of her. It really seems like its twisted up grass in her poop that she can't get out. I have no idea what to do for this girl. Has anyone else experienced this? Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any pictures of her poop? Does she have access to chic grit for when she eats grass and other foods? I would be tempted to treat for possible coccidiosis with Corid, although it could be something related to the grass in the poops. Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched, not eating, and runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood.

Corid can be found in feed stores in liquid or powder. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Do you have any pictures of her poop? Does she have access to chic grit for when she eats grass and other foods? I would be tempted to treat for possible coccidiosis with Corid, although it could be something related to the grass in the poops. Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched, not eating, and runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood.

Corid can be found in feed stores in liquid or powder. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Thank you. She passed last night. I am actually going to treat my other two with Corid today just to be safe. They do have grit with their feed. I appreciate your feedback, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom