young chick is lethargic and we're worried! Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ButtercupFarm, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ButtercupFarm

ButtercupFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. chicken- not sure of breed probably a barred-rock, born mid-May, very little/light weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. no behavior, can't fly seems to be weakening by the day (behavior going on for a couple days- much worse the past 2 days and today) not hanging out with his normal group, falls over and can't get up...
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? getting worse over the past few days, he's been the smallest and weakest from the beginning, but it's become a bigger issue the past day or so, eyes mostly closed, tipping forward.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. not visable, but he is really fluffy so I don't know if I could see a break, no bleeding.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing known, weather has been warm, but we have lots of shade and water is available to all the animals.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. some, getting less and less, today with a dropper only
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. small and limited, but normal consistency
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? brought him inside, gave him water with ACV a few days ago when we first noticed the drooping, now giving him organic molasses water w/a tiny bit of real sea salt w/minerals (what we use for electrolyte drinks around here) by the dropperful and trying to offer him food (yogurt and protein type food).
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? care at home
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine shavings in a brooder box at night, free range during day

We aren't sure what's going on and the best course of action- the little one is a runt and was hatched here so he/she is a special one (we've named it Herman for the time being)... We'd hate to lose him/her!

Chara

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OK, I am by far no expert, but it could be several things, to name a few, one is botulism maybe from moldy feed - another could be a vitamin deficiency. If it were me, I would treat with one OR the other - baby vitamins without iron OR vitamin and electrolytes in the water for a few days. I have had birds that really healed up, took awhile, but by giveing them the vitmain/electrolyte powder, they got over it.

3. ButtercupFarm

May 23, 2011
    Quote:I figured it wasn't anything food related because many other chickens eat the same food and they are all the normal happy busy chickens. What kind of baby vitamins and electrolyte powder do you mean? Where would you get those?

4. ButtercupFarm

May 23, 2011
    Ok, we just found out there are worms in his poop, just found them as it was sitting on a towel and we noticed things were moving... WHAT DO WE DO NOW? Haven't dealt with this, what do we do about the rest of the chickens in the batch? Thanks so much! What can we do for him?

Chara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by