Young Chick sneezing / Shaking head

FredB

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
I have 20 young chicks, 19 are 14 days old and 1 is 12 days old. I had initially used a bedding of cardboard covered with newspapers covered with paper towels for traction, changed daily. Yesterday I switched to pine shavings. Within two hours the 12 day old chick (Araucana) started sneezing and shaking its head. It is doing this VERY frequently, like at least 4-5 times a minute. I have attached a short video. The video and audio quality are poor (sorry) but you should be able to see the head shake at 3 seconds and again at 10 seconds. The sound is like a muffled chirp.
0.jpg

The chick seems very healthy otherwise - he is eating and drinking and his poop looks normal so far. I checked his nose holes and they look exactly like the other Araucanas, no discharge or anything. He is also quite strong - I put him in a separate box inside the brooder with another chick for company (I thought maybe the pine shavings were too dusty) and he jumped/flew out. Sides were over 12 inches tall, so he has plenty of strength and energy.

Normally I would not worry since he seems fine but this one is the wife's favorite - he will come running to her when she opens the brooder even though all the other chicks run away. I would hate to see anything happen to it. Does anyone recognize these symptoms? I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!

More info (added as I think of it): I have been feeding them non-medicated chick starter, and water. Thats it.

I think it probably just got dust or a small particle in it's sinuses. If you can't see anything in it's nostrils then hopefully the chick will sneeze it out. Not sure what else you would do.
hmm.png

Sure is a cute chick!

This has been going on for 5 days now. That seems like too long for her to sneeze it out or for the problem to take care of itself.

I did take the pine shavings out of the brooder for 24 hours, that did not make a difference. Any ideas?

She doesn't have any discharge that I can see, although I don't know what "mares" are. Is it the nostril area?

Just to follow up on this:

After sneezing for about 3 weeks I gave her poly vi sol (without iron) in her water and in 3 days she kicked the cough completely. I'm not entirely sure of the implications of this but anyway that is what worked.

Back
Top Bottom