Young Chick with Beak Gap

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamabird03, Nov 1, 2016.

1. mamabird03

mamabird03 Just Hatched

Jul 18, 2016
    I adopted two little chicks, about 5 weeks old, from someone who decided they didn't want to take care of them because they were getting too big. (If you don't know the size of adult chickens don't buy any, just saying) I noticed that one's beak has a gap in it so that when her mouth is closed you can still see through the side. Besides this, she is super active, peeping all the time, eating, drinking water.... Pretty much like a normal chick and I've been paying extra attention to make sure she is doing well. However I'm a little concerned because her sister (same breed as far as I know) is just a little bigger and her feathers are more filled in. The chick with the gap still has some spots where the feathers are still developing. Is she maybe not getting as much food as her sister? Because of the gap? I notice she has a hard time eating her dried meal worm treats while her sister just gobbles them up.

Is there something I can do? To maybe help with the beak or something I can give her to up her food intake?

Thanks,

Mickala

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Hmmm...difficult to say if the beak is going to get worse or not. You'll just have to keep an eye on it.

The size/developmental difference may not be related directly to the beak. It could just be an indicator that the chick has more than one challenge. In any case, I would probably supplement her protein intake a bit (insects are good, but a chunk of tofu or cooked egg white daily may work better) and consider a vitamin supplement just in case. Make sure with the mealwoms that they have access to chick-sized grit, otherwise they will not be able to digest them properly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by