Young Chick with leg problem...advise please

happycountryhens

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Central NY
Mail order chicks arrived on Monday. All chicks were well, active and happy except one little red star girl who was squished under all the other chicks. I have isolated her in the mailer box (for a brooder for her) with a warm snuggle inside to keep the temp up and steady. I have been hand feeding her chick starter mixed with water and quickchick and sugar which she is eating well. However, she still cannot walk on her own. She has no sense of balance and when propped up in a corner, she pushes her legs streight under her so she looks upright like a person. When she get tired, she falls over. She seemed to improve a little yesterday, but no improvement today. She can sit upright (until she tries to move and falls over again). She is bright eyed and noisey. I am not sure what to make of her condition. Advise would be appreciated.

I have ABSOLUTELY no experience with this, but when I was looking up solutions for curled toe I thought I saw something about a slipped hock tendon causing a leg to stick out straight and not bend? I don't have time to look up that site again, and very well could be mixing two different issues. Good luck!

Quote:
Thank you for helping. She can bend the legs, but has less control on one side than the other. She seems neurological. She has a hard time getting her foot back under her if it "knuckles". Hmmmm....

Unfortunately her legs are not splayed. Just weak, but they lock up when she is placed in the standing position. Then she gets tired and falls over. She can sit with her legs folded under her. See picture #2. Then she tries to get up and ends up throwing herself sideways. She will also arch her head over her back when that happens. When you pick her up, she will sit in your hand just fine. She is starting to dip her beak herself when being hand fed, but I don't dare leave food and water in with her. She is too out of control...it would be all over her or she would drownd in it.

i am having the same problem with my new little BO hatchling it is 2 days old now and i have been hand feeding and watering it does anyone know what causes this and will it ever recover??? or will it be a "special needs" bird for life?

Back
Top Bottom