Young Chick with Spraddle Leg (untreated) **PIC ADDED

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaMarcy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I hatched out the sweetest little naked neck silkie, but she was 24+ hours old before I noticed her right leg is spraddled. I hobbled her but it didn't work (although I corrected a turned under toe on the other foot). I have her in the house with me for now. She's abe to scoot around and uses her wing for stability. She's eating and drinking well ... loves to nap in my bra. I see her try to eat her toes occasionally (nothign major, just a peck before she knows it's herself).

Can a chick like this grow up and manage ok? Should I anticipate her becoming a house chicken? I should probably put her back in the brooder with the other wee ones her age, but we're getting attached. [​IMG] She's my Miss Priscilla Pearl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    My husband thinks I'm crazy because Miss Priscilla ate breakfast withme his morning. [​IMG]

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    How old is the chick now? How long were the hobbles on? Did she walk at all with hobbles?

(Sounds like a cutie pie!!)

4. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    She's about 3 days now. Hobbles were on about 24 hours. She never did walk with them, she would flop around and kinda freak out. She wouldn't even stand with them. :-(

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hmm. I'd try the hobbles again maybe in a different place? I leave mine on at least three days. I use vet tape. Might not be too late to try again? Sometimes they can't walk with them on at first but then they get the hang of it. Unless it's something different like a slipped tendon. Maybe post pics?

6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    It seems to really twist at the "hip" if that makes any sense She's so tiny, it was so hard to get the first hobble on. It doesn't just sit out to the side but almost rotates upward. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by