Young chicken climbing fence

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LesGan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    I have a 3 month old cockeral who is jumping up about 2 feet onto my 6 foot chain link fence surrounding the yard and then proceeding to climb up a few feet. I clipped wings so no flying out but I have never seen a chicken climb a fence. Any suggestions? I will have to get up pretty early to stay ahead of this one!! My fence is electrified on the outside 2 inches from the bottom and from the top. I don't know if he would make it to the top and come in contact with the wire. If he makes it out I am sure he could not get back in. Advice needed.

2. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    I had a water turtle who climber the curtains.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He either needs to be in a pen with a top, or rehomed if you can't handle him. I wonder if your fence had come overhang that angled into your yard, if that would keep him from climbing past the top. I never heard of a climbing chicken but, don't put anything past them. If there is a will there is a way.

4. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Maybe you could put some chicken wire at the top, going in, parallel to the ground. I don't know how you can do that, I've never done it, but I'm sure it should keep him inside the fence. [​IMG]

5. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Or you could put a tarp on it or chicken wire over the whole thing. It would be more expensive, but easier.

6. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    Chicken yard is about 60 X 40 feet so would have to do something around the top edge....silly chicken, or is that silly owner???!!

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Does he have an elevated location he can get up to within the enclosure? If not, then provide one. All my young birds like to get up high once in a while during the day, especially the males. They do so often as part of crowing sequence, even before they can actually make even start of vocalization.

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I think it depends upon the breed. We have an EE/Aurcana cross roo who is very flighty and just would not stay in without a top on the run. Yes, i would say that he would scramble up the 6 ft fence. His pure Aurcana daddy doesn't bother to fly and neither did our previous EE roos, but this one doesn't like being fenced in. We tried wing clipping and that didn't work at all.
    So the only run we have that has a top is the Batchelors' Pad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by