Young chicken found dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mfurash, Jul 7, 2016.

1. mfurash

mfurash New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Phoenix Arizona
    I'm new here and new to chicken keeping. I had four girls, two I hatched myself in my classroom and two from the feed store. The first girl I hatched was my buddy, she always game to me for cuddles and petting. Today I found her dead on the floor of the coop. She was only four months old but she was huge, very mellow and sweet.
    I'm in Arizona so it's been stupid hot but they always have fresh water. They are under a canopy and tree. They usually have a mister during the day and they like to hang out under it. I feel guilty because I had a thing yesterday so they didn't get to free roam the yard. Could a young chicken die of heat stroke?

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about that. It could have been heat stroke. It sounds like you're doing a good job of keeping them cool, but you mentioned that she was large, so she was probably more susceptible to the heat. What breed was she?

3. mfurash

mfurash New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Phoenix Arizona
    I don't know for sure but she looked like a barred rock. The two I hatched are about double the size of the Rhode Island reds that came from the feed store and they were all about the same age.

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Oh ok. Those breeds are bred to be cold-hardy for northern winters, so with their size and feathers, it will be difficult to keep them cool in such a hot climate. My birds really like to have a small portable fan, they'll just sit in front of it. Also, is there a lot of ventilation in the coop? It can heat up really quick in there. Once again, sorry for your loss and good luck! [​IMG]

5. mfurash

mfurash New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Phoenix Arizona
    The coop is all wire run with a house that they don't really use even at night so lots of ventilating and yet are set up to get the west to east wind we get in the evenings. I'll have to really keep an eye on the other bared rock. Thanks

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    All of our chickens are descended from the Red or Gray Jungle Fowl with a shot of Asil or Malay fowl thrown in to some breeds for good measure. In the wild most of these birds still live in Tropical areas of Asia. Therefor Shade, Heat, and to some degree misting water is right down the chickens' alley. Look for other causes for the demise of your chicken if you want to know the cause of its death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by