Young chicken ill not able to stand

Skyler698

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2018
I have read some posts but there are so many I thought I would ask here. I have a buff Orpington who is ill. I lost another buff a few months back but it seemed to be an isolated issue.

The bird can’t walk and will drop a wing to try. If I hold her up she can stand and she can move her legs so she’s not paralyzed. I’ve checked her feet no sores or wounds.

She has diarrhea but not sure if that is from stress as well. I have taken her out of the run. She’s in a crate. I have food and water. Yesterday she did eat her food and drank a little. I have started vitamin B and using a syringe to make sure she gets water. She has some labor breathing. Not like she is panting but she seems to be opening her beak to breath. She’s still fiesty Doesn’t want to be messed with lol.

Looking to see if anyone knows what may be going on and what else I can do to help her.

Thanks
tina

Unfortunately this time of the year, we are starting to see some young chickens with symptoms of possible Mareks disease. It is best diagnosed with a necropsy and Mareks PCR test after death by a state poultry lab, so there is nothing that can be done except giving good care.

Your chicken may have some other problem, such as dehydration, egg binding, vitamin deficiency, or one of the many problems that look like Mareks. Feel inside her vent with one finger (use a disposable glove) and feel for the pressence if a stuck egg. It wouldn’t hurt to get some Corid and treat her for possible coccidiosis since she is having diarrhea. If you do that, stop the vitamins temporarily. What B vitamin are you giving? B complex?

Mareks can cause a numb feeling in the legs where they can still move but they feel asleep. Usually one leg is affected. Using the wings to help balance is another symptom. Hopefully, this is something other than Mareks, but here is amfood article to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom