Young chicken laid two eggs without shells in the same night

Oct 14, 2019
The title says a lot of it, but this morning I had to go feed my chickens earlier than usual, and I found our only chicken currently laying standing outside, alone, even though it is very cold out. Next to her were these two eggs, laid only with membranes, no shells.

This is very unusual behavior for her. She's never laid outside the coop before, nor any other soft eggs, two in a day, or this early in the morning. My only guess is that this might be because she's still new to egg laying, but I'm still concerned.

Attachments

• IMG_20191014_070037.jpg
    IMG_20191014_070037.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 15
I'm currently experiencing this with one of my newest layers. I would give her a dose of calcium supplement if I knew which one it was. Often calcium citrate can "reset" a layer's equipment and get her on track.

Two soft eggs together sends a warning signal. When this happens, there's a growing risk of an egg getting stuck inside and rupturing and causing infection.

You're fortunate in identifying the hen with the issue. Give her one calcium citrate tablet every 24 hours until she's laying normally. I wouldn't see any need to go beyond three days of giving the supplement. Try to find one with D-3 in it.

I'm currently experiencing this with one of my newest layers. I would give her a dose of calcium supplement if I knew which one it was. Often calcium citrate can "reset" a layer's equipment and get her on track.

Two soft eggs together sends a warning signal. When this happens, there's a growing risk of an egg getting stuck inside and rupturing and causing infection.

You're fortunate in identifying the hen with the issue. Give her one calcium citrate tablet every 24 hours until she's laying normally. I wouldn't see any need to go beyond three days of giving the supplement. Try to find one with D-3 in it.
Thank you for the information! Where do you get those tablets, and how much are they?
Also, do you think extra calcium in general would work? I've started to grind extra eggshells for them to eat as an extra source of calcium

Back
Top Bottom