Young chicken-- no eggs, just liquid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexasNovice, Jun 6, 2011.

1. TexasNovice

TexasNovice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    We have 4 young Red star chickens- all the same age. About 3 weeks ago, 3 of them starting laying eggs regularly ( 1 per day per chicken – some days we only get 2 eggs).

The 4th has not been laying. We have noticed large semi clear puddles. Could that be a problem with the 4th chick, not being able to form shells or something else.

Thanks for your help

2. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    I think the 4th bird could be just fine-it sounds like she is still young and in the early stages of laying. When our birds were young, we had the same thing happening. I bought some oyster shell and put a little of that out for them each day to help harden the shell of their eggs. After a couple of weeks, the eggs came out normal. Every once in a while, we will still get a soft-shell but I throw some oyster shell out occasionally to try to prevent that. Give her some time, she should be just fine.

3. horsefreak

horsefreak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    I agree with CL. The hen may just be getting used to laying eggs or maybe you need some more calcium or hard food in her diet, other wise she is sweet![​IMG]

Horsefreak
    xo

4. horsefreak

Jun 5, 2011
    Tell me what U feed her?[​IMG]

5. TexasNovice

TexasNovice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Thank you all for the help. We feed them a mixture from the local feed store. I do not have the ingredients handy but it is mixed to encourage egg production. Hopefully, she is immature and will come through. We supplement with scraps, bread, sunflower seeds, etc.

6. horsefreak

Jun 5, 2011
    Then she'll be fine![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by