young chicken pecked bad in neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissBell, Aug 4, 2007.

1. MissBell

MissBell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2007
    I have 2 polish crest about 4 months and 3 other older chickens.My husband thought they would be ok to put together but to out horror this morning one has been pecked bad in the neck the flesh is raw but she is still alive.We put her in her own pen in the house and want to know any other care we can do for her.We cleaned her up with water but was not sure what to do after that.Any help would I would be greatfull for.

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    flush the wound copiously with sterile saline (water boiled with a bit of salt) and then some iodine "tea" (dilute to a "tea color" ) and apply some neosporin to the wound...

3. MissBell

Aug 4, 2007
    Thank You I will do this right away.I think she might make it if her wound heals she is walking around some and is alert most the time.....
    Thanks again c);-)

4. amandapdx

amandapdx New Egg

Aug 4, 2007
    We recently got two year-old hens and one of them did a similar thing to the other. There was a bloody wound in her neck and she was missing a lot of feathers.

She was completely traumatized and wouldn't let us near her. We sprayed the wound with Bactine but couldn't get the neosporin on. We kept the hens separated - they could still see each other so they wouldn't get completely lonely - but after a couple of days we bought bluecote spray and sprayed the wound. This ensured that the aggressor chicken wouldn't see red and attack again, while also helping the wound.

A week later, the damaged chickens seems much better if not completely healed and they are getting along well. I can't believe how quickly the wound disappeared.

I hope you have a similarly happy result!

Amanda

5. MissBell

Aug 4, 2007
    Miss Bell is doing fine I have her inside the house I think she would like to stay in doors in the A.C.
    Thank you for all your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by