young chicken staggering

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ahusveras, Sep 19, 2012.

1. ahusveras

ahusveras New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Cuckoo Maran, 7 weeks, I'm not sure how heavy she is but she is bigger than all my other 4 birds except for the australorop.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    After running in the garden for an hour I saw her squatting funny and staggering. It seemed as if she was trying to defecate but couldn't. She also seemed as if she was clinching her abdomen.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    3 hours now. After I noticed, I gave her some water and held her and after fifteen minutes or so she seemed better. I separated her from the other girls and she ate a little yogurt and drank a few sips of milk. She has since defecated, both solid and watery. She is now asleep on my bookshelf.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I'm really not sure. She was digging herself a whole in the dirt (as all the girls like to do) and then resting there for a while and then when she got up she started this strange behavior.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She is a rambunctious and greedy little bird. She likes to attack food and snacks and I brought out a little fresh garlic (1 and a half small cloves for 5 7-8 week olds) for them to try and she surely ate the lion's share. I had also just dusted the coop and she had gone in a few times for food. Their daily ration is an organic layered pellet that I buy locally for young hens.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None. Just love and soft songs.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I don't know. This is my first time raising chickens. Please advise!
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    N/A
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    The girls live in a 6 foot tractor and are let out two to three times a day for at least an hour. The bedding is pine shavings and trimmings from the garden.

My little Maran named Kakoo is the sweetest bird ever! She was totally normal all day and running around and scratching and eating. I dusted the cage and then brought out a small plate of garlic (about 1.5 small cloves worth) and Kakoo went crazy and ate more than the others. She had dug herself a nice hole and was churning dirt onto herself for 5 or so minutes. When I noticed her she was squatting down as if to relieve herself and she began to stumble. She also seemed tight or clinched in the abdomen which gave her a thinner appearance. She is normally a very plump, young bird. I totally panicked and cannot remember if she was making any distressing calls. I quickly picked her up and she was not being very calm. Usually you can just pick her up and she is very friendly and calm. I gave her some water and helped her stand up for a while. After about fifteen minutes she began to walk around and even run. She ate a bit of apple and seemed totally alert. At this point I brought her in the house and sat with her; she seemed more normal but still looked thinner in the abdomen. She relieved herself several times and this seemed to help. She was also making some moderate air sounds; I'm not sure if chickens get gas or burp. (Later on she was making some heavy breathing sounds before she fell asleep, but this was very temporary.) I gave her a little yogurt and some milk mixed with a little water. (I don't know why I did this, but I suppose I was hoping it was digestive.) I comforted her for a while and she started to doze off in my arms and now she's sound asleep in a cubby on my bookshelf.

I love my Kakoo bird so much and would appreciate any advise or suggestions. Do you think the garlic could have hurt her stomach and made her stumble like that? Do you think it could be cocci? Her feathers were not ruffled and nor was she staring off as I have read on other posts. Should I take her to the vet? I'm very new to raising chickens. Please help!

Thank you,

Gantt

2. ahusveras

ahusveras New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Update:

My little Maran is acting totally normal this morning. She slept next to me all night and was a dream. I gave her a little scrambled egg mixed with yogurt and oats and barely this morning and she ran around the garden with the other girls. She ate with the girls and scratched around the beds. Everything seems fine.

Does anybody have any experience with a sudden staggering or stumbling that only lasts 15 to 30 minutes? Could it be some digestive issue? Or should I go ahead and treat for cocci or something else? She's not exhibiting any of the symptoms besides the weird staggering yesterday evening. I don't want to repeat last night's incident and have no idea what happened. My best guess is that she ate something strange. Too much garlic? Maybe had a nip of a hot pepper? Totally clueless here. Please help!

Best,

Gantt

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I don't know if garlic is great for chickens...so I'd stop that for a bit. She may have stuffed herself and got a little constipated. If it happens again, feed her a little olive or veggie oil to help things move along easier...also try to feed smaller portions throughout the day instead of all at once so they don't binge.... Glad she is feeling better....little piggy

4. ahusveras

ahusveras New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks, Chickenzoo! The veggie oil plus yogurt plust apple cider vinegar in her water seemed to help. Along with a little coddling. My little Kakoo bird has made a full recovery and I do suspect that she pigged out to hard on the garlic. Apparently, this can cause gas to form in the crop and can harm them. So, I feel lucky! Best. - Gantt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by